Spectrum of 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of the spectrum of a tungsten microscope lamp using a scanning monochromator. The spectrum obtained appears to be incorrect or attenuated, and the possibility of a broken monochromator or an infrared filter on the microscope is raised.
paul_harris77
Dear All

I am trying to measure the spectrum of an incandesant 6V 15W tungsten microscope lamp. I have a reasonably old scanning monochromator (diffraction grating based) coupled to a fibre optic cable and it has given me the spectrum below.http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15546679/silver_lamp_forum.png I think it maybe broken as I am having a hard time believing that it gives virtual no output at 900nm. Surely all standard tungsten bulbs give out significant radiation at 900nm-1000nm (NIR)? I know it depends on the temperature of the filament and hence the colour temperature, but from most graphs I have seen of tungsten bulbs (2000-3300K), they have spectrums that extend significantly into the 900nm+ NIR region. Unfortunately, I can not find the colour temperature of the bulb, but it is definitely a yellow light so probably in the region 2000-3000K.

Does anyone else think that the spectrum maybe incorrect and that the monochromator may be broken or be attenuating the spectrum significantly in the 700-900nm region?

Many thanks

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It certainly looks attenuated - especially above the 790 nm mark. Have you tried pointing the spectrometer at the sun to see if those wavelengths show up? Unless it's broken, the only other thing I can think of is the possibility that your microscope has one of those infrared filters on it to keep the lamp from heating the sample as much as it otherwise would.

Related to Spectrum of 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp

1. What is the purpose of a 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp?

A 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp is used to provide a source of light for a microscope. It is specifically designed to produce a bright and focused light that is necessary for viewing small and detailed specimens under a microscope.

2. How does a 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp work?

A 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp works by passing an electric current through a tungsten filament, which becomes heated and emits light. The light is then focused and directed through the microscope to illuminate the specimen being observed.

3. What type of microscope is a 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp compatible with?

A 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp is compatible with compound microscopes, which are the most commonly used type of microscope in laboratories. It may also be compatible with certain types of stereo microscopes, but it is always important to check the specifications of your microscope before purchasing a lamp.

4. How long does a 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp typically last?

The lifespan of a 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp can vary depending on usage, but on average it can last for approximately 100 hours. It is important to handle and store the lamp properly to ensure its longevity.

5. Are there any special precautions to take when handling a 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp?

Yes, it is important to handle a 6V 15W Tungsten Microscope Lamp with care as it can become very hot during use. Always allow the lamp to cool down before handling it and never touch the bulb with bare hands as the oils from your skin can cause the bulb to break. It is also important to only use the lamp with the recommended voltage and wattage to prevent damage.