Spectral theory in quantum mechanics

In summary, the integrand in the equation means that the complex constant corresponding to the projection operator on the left is equal to the sum of the complex constants corresponding to the projection operators on the right.
guhan
Can someone please tell me what the integrand in the below equation mean?
[tex] 1 = \langle \psi | \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d \langle \psi |E_\lambda \psi \rangle [/tex]
where,
[tex]E_\lambda[/tex] is an increasing (and absolutely continuous) function of projection operators such that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dE_\lambda = I [/tex]

( I read the integrand as a differential (or measure) of a complex constant, which should have been zero!? So I am certainly wrong in interpreting it)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that [tex]E_\lambda[/tex] corresponds to an element of a continuous set of projection operators i.e. [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda|[/tex] with the completeness relation
[tex]\int dE_\lambda\equiv \int d\lambda |\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda|=1[/tex].

In this sense the equation you wrote simply means

[tex]1=\langle\psi|\psi\rangle=\langle\psi|(\int dE_\lambda )|\psi\rangle =\int d\underbrace{\lambda\langle\psi|\lambda\rangle\langle \lambda|\psi\rangle}_{\langle \psi |E_\lambda\psi\rangle}[/tex]

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks!.. I get the drift.

As in, in the case of [tex]\lambda[/tex] belonging to the spectrum of position operators,
[tex]\langle \psi | E_\lambda \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\lambda} |\psi |^2 dx[/tex]
which is absolutely continuous and its differential is well defined ([tex]= | \psi |^2 [/tex])

But, is writing [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda| [/tex] valid even for [tex]\lambda \in [/tex] spectrum, which can be continuous?
I was of the opinion that it is valid only when [tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigenvalue (and hence discrete).

And when you wrote [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda| [/tex], I assume you meant the following:
[tex] E_\lambda=\sum_{\lambda_i \le \lambda} |\lambda_i\rangle\langle\lambda_i| [/tex]

guhan said:
Thanks!.. I get the drift.

As in, in the case of [tex]\lambda[/tex] belonging to the spectrum of position operators,
[tex]\langle \psi | E_\lambda \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\lambda} |\psi |^2 dx[/tex]
which is absolutely continuous and its differential is well defined ([tex]= | \psi |^2 [/tex])

Actually I think the answer I gave was not really what you were looking for. I just took a shot in the dark. To answer what the integrand means I would have to know in what context it appears. And I have a feeling even then I probably am not the right person to answer.

But, is writing [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda| [/tex] valid even for [tex]\lambda \in [/tex] spectrum, which can be continuous?
I was of the opinion that it is valid only when [tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigenvalue (and hence discrete).

I think that, in a "rigged" Hilbert space, continuous eigenvalues are allowed and one can safely write [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle \lambda[/tex] and even [tex]1=\int d\lambda |\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda|[/tex] but I don't know how to prove this or where proof could be found.

Sorry for not being able to help you. I hope somebody comes along who can.

Related to Spectral theory in quantum mechanics

1. What is spectral theory in quantum mechanics?

Spectral theory in quantum mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the properties of quantum mechanical systems. It involves the study of the spectra, or energy levels, of particles and their corresponding wave functions.

2. How is spectral theory used in quantum mechanics?

Spectral theory is used in quantum mechanics to determine the energy levels and wave functions of particles in a given system. This information is essential for understanding the behavior and properties of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules.

3. What is the significance of spectral theory in quantum mechanics?

Spectral theory plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and its applications in various fields such as chemistry and physics.

4. What are some key concepts in spectral theory?

Some key concepts in spectral theory include eigenvectors, eigenvalues, and the spectral theorem. Eigenvectors are special vectors that remain unchanged when subjected to a linear transformation. Eigenvalues are associated with these eigenvectors and represent the energy levels of particles in a quantum system. The spectral theorem relates these concepts to operators and their corresponding spectra.

5. How does spectral theory relate to other areas of mathematics and physics?

Spectral theory has applications in various areas of mathematics and physics, including functional analysis, differential equations, and quantum field theory. It also plays a crucial role in the study of spectroscopy, which is the analysis of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation.