Specify the position of the center of mass

In summary, the center of mass for the T-shaped object is located at (\frac{a}{2}, \frac{b}{2}), where a and b are the lengths of the sides of the T-shaped object.
nayfie

Homework Statement

Two identical uniform rectangular flat planks with sides a and b are glued together to form a T-shaped object. Specify the position of the center of mass. State any theorems you use in order to arrive at your conclusion. See the attempted solution for a diagram. :)

The problem:

I have shown that the center of mass for each object is ([itex]\frac{a}{2}, \frac{b}{2}[/itex]), but I can't seem to show (using maths) that the center of mass of the overall object is [itex](\frac{\frac{a}{2} + \frac{b}{2}}{2})[/itex].

If anybody could help out that would be wonderful. :)

Homework Equations

[itex]CM = \int^{x}_{0}(x\frac{dm}{dx})dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It would probably take me a good 30 minutes to write all of this out, so I'll just attach a picture. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29493853/Photo%20Jul%2031%2C%203%2020%2014%20PM.jpeg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nayfie said:

Homework Statement

Two identical uniform rectangular flat planks with sides a and b are glued together to form a T-shaped object. Specify the position of the center of mass. State any theorems you use in order to arrive at your conclusion. See the attempted solution for a diagram. :)

The problem:

I have shown that the center of mass for each object is ([itex]\frac{a}{2}, \frac{b}{2}[/itex]), but I can't seem to show (using maths) that the center of mass of the overall object is [itex](\frac{\frac{a}{2} + \frac{b}{2}}{2})[/itex].

If anybody could help out that would be wonderful. :)

Homework Equations

[itex]CM = \int^{x}_{0}(x\frac{dm}{dx})dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It would probably take me a good 30 minutes to write all of this out, so I'll just attach a picture. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29493853/Photo%20Jul%2031%2C%203%2020%2014%20PM.jpeg"

Would you find it simpler if you had two spheres of lead, positioned so that their centres of mass were in equivalent positions? ie the same distance apart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi nayfie! :smile:

A center of mass is a point with an x-coordinate and a y-coordinate.
To state where it is, first you need to define an origin.
What is your origin?

The answer you are trying to find is just a value, while it should be a point.
And either way, I'm afraid that the value will not be part of the answer.
Or were the planks supposed to be glued on top of each other, instead of against each other?

The relevant equation you specified is not the one usually used for a CM calculation.
Where did you get it?
There are several assumptions contained within that may block you.
For one it assumes the object is between a coordinate 0 and x, meaning it is entirely to the right of the origin.
Furthermore it only calculates the x coordinate of the CM.
What happened to the y coordinate?

Btw, are you required to calculate it using integrals?
For there is an easier method, since a CM is just a mass-weighted average of all objects...

Related to Specify the position of the center of mass

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where all of its mass can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point around which all of the mass is evenly distributed, and it acts as the average location of the weight of the object.

2. How can the center of mass be calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in the object or system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a reference point, and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the object or system.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion of an object or system. It is used in calculations of torque, rotational motion, and stability. It also helps us determine how an object will respond to external forces.

4. What factors affect the position of the center of mass?

The position of the center of mass is affected by the distribution of mass within an object or system. It also depends on the shape and size of the object, as well as the location of any external forces acting on it.

5. How does the center of mass relate to an object's stability?

The lower an object's center of mass is, the more stable it will be. This is because a lower center of mass means that there is less potential for the object to tip over or lose balance. This is why most tall structures, such as buildings and trees, have a wider base to lower their center of mass and increase their stability.