Specifically, why do resistors give off heat?

In summary, the heat produced by a resistor at the atomic and molecular level is due to the collisions of electrons with other atoms as they drift. It is similar to water being forced through a bottleneck, creating pressure and heat in the real world. However, it is not fully understood why the electrons must flow at the same rate as in a larger diameter pipe. It has been suggested that using non-conductive polymers impregnated with small lengths of nano scale ballistic conductors, such as single wall carbon nanotubes, could potentially reduce the amount of heat produced by the resistor. This is because the electrons would only flow through the sections of nanotubes that are all touching each other, creating a direct path without collisions and heat loss.
taylaron
Gold Member
At the atomic and molecular level, why exactly does a resistor give off heat?
I'm trying to understand the fundamental science acting behind this device.
I read that when treated like water, forcing water through a bottleneck creates increased pressure on the smaller diameter pipe which translates to heat in the real world. But why??
From my perspecive at the atomic level the valence electrons should simply 'bunch up' like in a funnel or pipette waiting to reach the nozzle. Why must the water or current flow at the same 'rate' as in the larger diameter pipe?

Regards,
-Tay

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a large pipe, the molecules travel slower giving them more chance to strike the walls. Hence more pressure.

In a perfect conductor, the electron are free do move. In a resistor, the electrons are constantly impeded by other atoms - as they drift. Heat is given off in a collision.

Last edited:
So, can one take a non conductive polymer and impregnate it with x percent lengths of nano scale ballistic conductors (metallic single wall carbon nano tubes) and achieve partial conductivity but without the loss of a lot of heat? To my understanding, since the electrons can't travel through the polymer the only route to travel through is the carbon nano tubes which are near perfect conductors (hence the ballistic conduction).

Or, would the electrons traveling through the SWCNT's "collide" with the molecules of the non conductive polymer and create friction thus heat? (although I still don't understand how electricity would be able to flow at all in those areas because it is an open circuit thus no current and no friction).
I see it like a bolt of lightning where there are many many splits from the main discharge path, but they stop because they don't have a path to ground. Similar to the lengths of CNT's empregnated in the polymer woud act as the ionized air particles in a lightning bolt. the current would only flow through the sections of CNT's that are all touching one another creating a path for the electrons to flow.

Where the electrons flow through there would be a direct path to the other side of the polymer, there would be incredibly little resistance creating a "single position valve for electrons" without the loss of energy through collisions (heat). the conductivity can vary with the concentration of CNT's as long as the polymer is a homogeneous mixture.
Am I correct?

briefly proved here: http://www.entegris.com/Resources/Images/20257.pdf
and http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0957-4484/20/40/405702

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Specifically, why do resistors give off heat?

1. Why do resistors give off heat?

When an electric current passes through a resistor, the voltage drop causes the electrons to collide with the atoms of the resistor's material. This collision converts the electrical energy into heat energy, which is then dissipated into the surrounding environment.

2. How is the amount of heat produced by a resistor determined?

The amount of heat produced by a resistor is determined by its power rating, which is typically measured in watts. A resistor's power rating indicates the maximum amount of heat it can safely dissipate without overheating.

3. Can resistors overheat?

Yes, resistors can overheat if they are not used within their specified power rating or if they are exposed to high temperatures for extended periods of time. This can lead to damage or failure of the resistor and other components in the circuit.

4. Are there different types of resistors that produce different levels of heat?

Yes, there are different types of resistors that have varying power ratings and therefore, produce different levels of heat. For example, a wire-wound resistor can dissipate more heat than a carbon film resistor due to its larger surface area and higher power rating.

5. How can the heat produced by resistors be managed?

The heat produced by resistors can be managed by using resistors with higher power ratings, ensuring proper ventilation and spacing in the circuit, or by using heat sinks to dissipate the heat. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications when using resistors to prevent overheating.