Specific question on Goldstein section on Time-independent perturbation theory

In summary, time-independent perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a quantum mechanical system with a small disturbance. It is based on the assumption that the disturbance is time-independent and is applied to systems with a time-independent potential energy function. The first-order approximation in this theory involves calculating the first-order correction to the unperturbed energy levels and wavefunctions. When dealing with degenerate energy levels, degenerate perturbation theory must be used to accurately solve the equations. The secular equation is a key equation in this theory that allows for the determination of perturbed energy levels and wavefunctions by equating the first-order energy correction to zero and solving for the unknown values.
Bosh
I apologize that this is rather specific, but hopefully enough people have used Goldstein. I have a basic grasp of action-angle variables, and I'm going through the time-independent perturbation theory section in Goldstein (12.4).

In this section we seek a transformation from the unperturbed action-angle variables [itex](J_0, w_0)[/itex], to a new set [itex](J, w)[/itex] such that the [itex]J[/itex]'s are all constant, and therefore the [itex]w[/itex]'s are all linear functions of time.

In the first equation of the section, 12.61 (all equation numbers from the 3rd edition), he writes [itex]q_k[/itex] as a multiple Fourier expansion of all the [itex]w_0[/itex]'s. Specifically, this assumes that [itex]q_k[/itex] is a periodic function of each of the [itex]w_0[/itex]'s. They make this point again just before equation 12.74, saying that in order for the q's and p's to be periodic in both [itex]w_0[/itex] and [itex]w[/itex] then ...

What I don't understand is: Why should q be periodic in the unperturbed angle variables [itex]w_0[/itex]? I agree that they should be periodic in the perturbed angle variables [itex]w[/itex]. The argument in one dimension would run like this:

If you move the system through one cycle of q, the change in [itex]w[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\Delta w = \oint \frac{\partial w}{\partial q} dq[/itex]
[itex] = \oint \frac{\partial^2 W}{\partial J \partial q} dq[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{\partial}{\partial J} \oint \frac{\partial W}{\partial q} dq[/itex]

where the partial with respect to J can only be taken outside the integral because it is constant!

[itex] = \frac{\partial}{\partial J} \oint p dq = \frac{\partial}{\partial J} J = 1 [/itex]

so every time w advances by 1, q returns to its same value, and is therefore periodic in w with period 1.

But I don't see how this works for [itex]w_0[/itex]! The argument runs analogously until the third line:

[itex]\Delta w_0 = \oint \frac{\partial w_0}{\partial q} dq[/itex]
[itex] = \oint \frac{\partial^2 W_0}{\partial J_0 \partial q} dq[/itex]

but now you shouldn't be able to take out the partial with respect [itex]J_0[/itex], since it will no longer be constant, right? [itex]J_0[/itex] was the constant action variable in the unperturbed problem, but once you add a perturbation, the perturbation Hamiltonian will in general depend on [itex]w_0[/itex], i.e. [itex] \Delta H = \Delta H(w_0, J_0, t)[/itex]. Therefore [itex]\dot{J_0} = -\frac{\partial \Delta H}{\partial w_0} \neq 0[/itex]

I know it's pretty specific, but if anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that q should be periodic in w_0 is actually not required for the perturbation theory. The idea is that you want to find a transformation from the unperturbed action-angle variables (J_0, w_0) to a new set (J, w) such that the J's are all constant, and therefore the w's are all linear functions of time. This transformation can be found by solving the equations of motion for the perturbed system, which will be of the form:\dot{J_0} = -\frac{\partial \Delta H}{\partial w_0} \dot{w_0} = \frac{\partial \Delta H}{\partial J_0} These equations can be solved for the transformation of the variables without needing to assume that q is periodic in the unperturbed angle variables w_0. The assumption of periodicity is used in the section to make the solution simpler, but it is not necessary.

Related to Specific question on Goldstein section on Time-independent perturbation theory

What is time-independent perturbation theory?

Time-independent perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used to approximate the energy levels and wavefunctions of a quantum mechanical system that is subject to a small perturbation or disturbance. It is based on the assumption that the perturbation is time-independent, meaning it does not change with time.

How is time-independent perturbation theory applied to the Goldstein section?

In the Goldstein section, time-independent perturbation theory is applied to a system with a time-independent potential energy function. The perturbation is then added to this potential energy function and the resulting equations are solved to find the perturbed energy levels and wavefunctions.

What is the first-order approximation in time-independent perturbation theory?

The first-order approximation in time-independent perturbation theory is the lowest order approximation that takes into account the perturbation. It involves calculating the first-order correction to the energy levels and wavefunctions of the unperturbed system.

How does time-independent perturbation theory handle degenerate energy levels?

When dealing with degenerate energy levels in time-independent perturbation theory, additional steps must be taken to ensure accurate results. This includes using degenerate perturbation theory, which involves diagonalizing the perturbation matrix and finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system.

What is the significance of the secular equation in time-independent perturbation theory?

The secular equation is a fundamental equation in time-independent perturbation theory that allows us to solve for the perturbed energy levels and wavefunctions. It is derived by equating the first-order energy correction to zero and solving for the unknown energy values.