Specific iron loss of transformer

In summary: IEEE papers typically only require membershiop. Can you access IEEE papers ? I saw several papers but they require membership. Probably your company library has access.In summary, an undergraduate student is trying to find out how to calculate specific iron loss, but it would take weeks to derive the equations from first principles.
tkulkarni39
I am designing 3ph distribution transformer.

So for calculations regarding to design, I want specific iron loss. I know how to find out iron loss but that requires initially specific iron loss of material, which i don't know how to calculate. I also searched it on google and in some books but I cannot get the exact explanation for calculating specific iron loss.

please can anyone tell me how to find out specific iron loss?

Engineering news on Phys.org
51nh5LBQWLL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
- in this book there is the "Richter formula" (which is an approximation of the Steinmetz formula for steel cores) and parameters of electrical steels.
A more detailed description of iron losses seems to be in another book:
41PDvs9uYoL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
Where do you plan to buy your iron ?
From what I've seen, loss per pound vs B is always given on manufacturer's datasheets for their various alloys.

AlexCaledin said:
51nh5LBQWLL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
- in this book there is the "Richter formula" (which is an approximation of the Steinmetz formula for steel cores) and parameters of electrical steels.
A more detailed description of iron losses seems to be in another book:
41PDvs9uYoL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Thank you so much! I'll look into them

jim hardy said:
Where do you plan to buy your iron ?
From what I've seen, loss per pound vs B is always given on manufacturer's datasheets for their various alloys.
Thank you for reply sir.
Yes. Specifications are mentioned on data sheet. But I am an undergraduate student and one of my professors asked me to calculate specific iron loss while desiging transformer.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Thakyou very much. I will find these books.

I don't know if this is anything like what you're after... every supplier should have "Brag Sheet" extolling the virtues of his products. This one's from an old line US manufacturer, "Magnetics". They sell worldwide .

upload_2016-4-12_11-8-42.png

Likes tkulkarni39 and AlexCaledin
jim hardy said:
I don't know if this is anything like what you're after... every supplier should have "Brag Sheet" extolling the virtues of his products. This one's from an old line US manufacturer, "Magnetics". They sell worldwide .

View attachment 98979
Yes sir.
I am trying to find out from given information.

tkulkarni39 said:
But I am an undergraduate student and one of my professors asked me to calculate specific iron loss while desiging transformer.

Wow - i'd be hard pressed to do that. Derive the equations from first principles ? Would take me weeks...

Can you access IEEE papers ? I saw several papers but they require membership. Probably your company library has access.

Related to Specific iron loss of transformer

1. What is specific iron loss of transformer?

Specific iron loss of transformer refers to the amount of energy lost in the transformer's iron core when it is subjected to a magnetic field. It is measured in watts per kilogram (W/kg) and is an important factor in determining the overall efficiency of a transformer.

2. How is specific iron loss calculated?

Specific iron loss is calculated by dividing the total iron loss (in watts) by the weight of the transformer's iron core (in kilograms). This gives the amount of energy lost per unit weight of the core, which is expressed as W/kg.

3. What factors affect the specific iron loss of a transformer?

The specific iron loss of a transformer is affected by the frequency of the alternating current passing through the core, the magnetic flux density, and the quality of the core material. Higher frequency and flux density result in higher specific iron loss. Using high-quality core materials can help reduce specific iron loss.

4. How does specific iron loss impact the efficiency of a transformer?

Specific iron loss is one of the main factors that contribute to the overall efficiency of a transformer. Higher specific iron loss means more energy is being lost in the form of heat, resulting in lower efficiency. Therefore, it is important to minimize specific iron loss to improve the efficiency of a transformer.

5. What are some ways to reduce specific iron loss in transformers?

One way to reduce specific iron loss is by using high-quality core materials such as grain-oriented electrical steel, which has lower losses compared to other materials. Another way is by designing the transformer with optimal core dimensions and minimizing air gaps. Lastly, properly maintaining the transformer and ensuring it is operated within its rated parameters can also help reduce specific iron loss.