Specific Internal Energy of a diatomic gas

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a J-shock in a Herbig-Haro object that is propagating through neutral hydrogen gas at a speed of 100 kms-1. The gas has a number density of 107 m-3 and a temperature of 104 K. The question asks to use the internal energy per unit mass formula to show the specific internal energy of the post shock gas. The conversation also touches on the adiabatic constant, post shock pressure, and the assumption of a diatomic gas.
Carusun
Hi all, I'm stuck on a question, and I'm hoping you guys can help... Anyway, here it is:

A J-shock in a Herbig-Haro object is propagating through neutral hydrogen gas at speed 100 kms-1. The gas has number density 107 m-3 and temperature 104 K.

(d) The internal energy per unit mass of a gas is,
U= ((gamma) - 1)^-1 * P/(rho). Use this to show that the specific internal energy of the post shock gas is, 3/2 * P(1)/(rho)(1)= 9/32 v(0)^2.

In this question;

(gamma) = the adiabatic constant, which, for H(2) is 7/5
P(1) = Post shock pressure = 5/6 (rho)(0) v(0)^2
(rho)(1) = 6(rho)(0)

which I believe is all that should be required, symbol-wise.

I can do this for a monatomic gas, but I'm having trouble getting the same result for a diatomic gas.
Have I made a mistake in assuming that the shock is propagating through a diatomic gas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Carusun said:
Hi all, I'm stuck on a question, and I'm hoping you guys can help... Anyway, here it is:

A J-shock in a Herbig-Haro object is propagating through neutral hydrogen gas at speed 100 kms-1. The gas has number density 107 m-3 and temperature 104 K.

(d) The internal energy per unit mass of a gas is,
U= ((gamma) - 1)^-1 * P/(rho). Use this to show that the specific internal energy of the post shock gas is, 3/2 * P(1)/(rho)(1)= 9/32 v(0)^2.

In this question;

(gamma) = the adiabatic constant, which, for H(2) is 7/5
P(1) = Post shock pressure = 5/6 (rho)(0) v(0)^2
(rho)(1) = 6(rho)(0)

which I believe is all that should be required, symbol-wise.

I can do this for a monatomic gas, but I'm having trouble getting the same result for a diatomic gas.
Have I made a mistake in assuming that the shock is propagating through a diatomic gas?
I am not sure I understand everything involved here, but I think the point may be that diatomic gas molecules have 5 degrees of freedom but that only three degrees of freedom (translation only) are involved in the propagation of a compression wave.

AM

That's great, thanks!

I had actually gone through this question the first time just assuming it was a monatomic gas, then kicking myself when I remembered H was diatomic.
Now, at least, I have a reason to do so, and am now kicking myself again...

Many thanks! :biggrin:

Related to Specific Internal Energy of a diatomic gas

What is specific internal energy of a diatomic gas?

The specific internal energy of a diatomic gas is the energy present in a unit mass of the gas due to its internal molecular motion and interactions. It is a measure of the average kinetic energy and potential energy of the gas molecules.

How is specific internal energy of a diatomic gas calculated?

The specific internal energy of a diatomic gas can be calculated using the equation: u = (5/2) * R * T, where u is the specific internal energy, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What factors affect the specific internal energy of a diatomic gas?

The specific internal energy of a diatomic gas is affected by the temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas. It also depends on the types of molecules present in the gas and their molecular weights.

How does specific internal energy change with temperature?

As the temperature of a diatomic gas increases, the specific internal energy also increases. This is because the kinetic energy and the potential energy of the gas molecules increase with temperature, leading to a higher overall internal energy.

What is the significance of specific internal energy in thermodynamics?

The specific internal energy is an important parameter in thermodynamics as it helps determine the amount of work a gas can do and the amount of heat it can transfer. It is also used in calculating other thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy and entropy.