Specific Heat molten lead Question

In summary, the question asks for the final temperatures of both water and lead after 0.50 kg of molten lead at 328°C is poured into 2.5 liters of water at 20°C. Using the specific heat of solid lead (3.4 X 10-2 kcal/kg • °C), the latent heat of fusion (6800 cal), and the specific heat of water (1000 cal/KgoC), we can solve for the final temperature of both substances. The calculation results in a final temperature of 22.0803oC for both water and lead, taking into account the latent heat of fusion. This confirms that the book may have made an error in stating the specific heat of lead as
Wellesley

Homework Statement

If you pour 0.50 kg of molten lead at 328°C into 2.5 liters of water at 20°C, what will be the final temperatures of the water and the lead? The specific heat of (solid) lead has an average value of 3.4 X 10-2 kcal/kg • °C over the relevant temperature range.

Homework Equations

Q=mass*c* [tex]\Delta[/tex] T
Qfus=m*cfus
masspb=0.50 Kg @328oC
cpb=34 cal/KgoC
Tfinal=?
cfusion=6800 cal

The Attempt at a Solution

Qfusion=6800 cal/Kg * 0.50 Kg= 3400 cal
Qpb = 3400 cal + .50Kg * 34 cal/KgoC* (328-x)
Qpb=3400+5576-17x

For Water:
QH2O=2.5 Kg * 1000 cal/KgoC * (x-20oC)
QH2O=2500x-50000

Setting these equal to each other I get:

2500x-50000=3400-17x+5576
2517x=58976 cal
x=23.4311oC

The back of the book has the answer of 22oC.

I can get 22oC as an answer only if I subtract the latent heat of fusion:

2500x-50000=17x+5576
2517x=55576
x=22.0803oC

The math seems pretty straight forward, so it makes me wonder whether the book made an error, or I did.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer is right. There's no reason to subtract the heat of fusion.

ideasrule said:
I think your answer is right. There's no reason to subtract the heat of fusion.

Thanks for the reply. This is the second time I've seen errors in the book, that's why I needed to make sure I hadn't made an error.

I would not say "subtract", I would say "ignore". But it has to be taken into account.

I realize this is a year old. But I just did the same problem but my book says the specific heat of lead is 140 J/kg*°C. Just in case somebody else reads this.

Related to Specific Heat molten lead Question

What is the specific heat of molten lead?

The specific heat of molten lead is approximately 0.13 J/g°C.

How is the specific heat of molten lead determined?

The specific heat of molten lead is typically determined through experiments where the temperature change of a known mass of lead is measured as it absorbs or releases heat.

Why is the specific heat of molten lead important?

The specific heat of molten lead is important for understanding its thermal properties and how it will behave in different environmental conditions.

Does the specific heat of molten lead change with temperature?

Yes, the specific heat of molten lead can vary slightly with temperature, but this effect is generally negligible for most practical applications.

How does the specific heat of molten lead compare to other substances?

The specific heat of molten lead is relatively low compared to other substances, which means it requires less energy to raise its temperature compared to other materials.