Specific Heat Capacity Graph Question

In summary, the problem statement is asking for the equation for the change in energy of a substance as it goes from a liquid to a solid. The book says that the most common error is ignoring the horizontal line that shows when kinetic energy is constant.
YES q THE zU19

Homework Statement

My answer is question 3 part c the graph. SHC = c
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61757-question-paper-unit-g484-the-Newtonian-world.pdf [See page 7]

Homework Equations

E=mcdelta theta Power=Energy/Time Therfroe
Power*Time = Mass*c*delta theta.

The Attempt at a Solution

See in my coursebook similar question types have a horizontal line for when internal energy increases andpotential energy is constant.

So my graph looks like a constant line, followed by a decreasing gradient followed by a constant line on the x-axis horizontally foloweed by a line of decreasing gradient where the 2nd decreasing gradient line is less than the first.

Essentially my shape is like a reclining chair if you can visualise this.

However the mark scheme says this:

1. 18 oC to 0 oC negative gradient line

2. horizontal line on time axis

3. 0oC to -18 oC line of steeper –ve gradient (judged by eye) than in 1

The examiners report also says this:

The most common error being ignoring the horizontal line during the change of state. Most candidates recognised that the line for the frozen milk needed to be steeper.

From this would you say my graph is right or not as described above, they seem to omit the constant lines for when kinetic energy is constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my judgment, the book's answer is right and yours is wrong. I have no idea why your are referring to kinetic energy in this context. I also have no idea why you have a constant line to start with, unless you are referring to the time before the cooling begins. And I don't understand why you say that the gradient is decreasing, when the problem statements clearly says that heat is removed at a constant rate.

Likes YES q THE zU19
Chestermiller said:
In my judgment, the book's answer is right and yours is wrong. I have no idea why your are referring to kinetic energy in this context. I also have no idea why you have a constant line to start with, unless you are referring to the time before the cooling begins. And I don't understand why you say that the gradient is decreasing, when the problem statements clearly says that heat is removed at a constant rate.

Thank you for your reply. I figure it out. There was only one change of state from liquid to solid, hence one horizontal line to show this.

Regards

Related to Specific Heat Capacity Graph Question

1. What is a specific heat capacity graph?

A specific heat capacity graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between temperature and the specific heat capacity of a substance. It shows how the specific heat capacity of a substance changes as its temperature changes.

2. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by heating a known mass of a substance and measuring the change in temperature. The formula for specific heat capacity is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What does the slope of a specific heat capacity graph represent?

The slope of a specific heat capacity graph represents the specific heat capacity of the substance. A steeper slope indicates a higher specific heat capacity, meaning the substance requires more heat energy to increase its temperature compared to a substance with a lower specific heat capacity.

4. How does specific heat capacity affect the heating and cooling of a substance?

Specific heat capacity determines how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of a substance. A substance with a higher specific heat capacity will take longer to heat up and cool down compared to a substance with a lower specific heat capacity.

5. What factors can affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can be affected by its composition, density, and state (solid, liquid, or gas). It can also vary with temperature and pressure.