A good place to learn and build electronic circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about a person with limited knowledge of electronic circuits seeking recommendations for basic electronic projects to build and learn from. Various suggestions and tips are given, including buying a breadboard, understanding schematics, setting a goal, and using online resources or hobby sites. The conversation also mentions the importance of learning how to solder and provides a link to a book that can help with learning electronics as a hobby.
david90
i'm really into electronic but right now i have a limited knowledge of electronic circuit. Is there a place that has basic electronic projects that I can built and learn at the same time?

I like the projects at http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/index.asp but they're too advance for me. Do u think I can build some of these projects with limited electronic skills? Is there more than just gathering parts and assemble it like the schematic?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Buy a breadboard so you don't have to solder things. Then put random circuits together, and see what happens (you'll need a multimeter). Its fun. Most of the circuits on that page are a too little large to start with, but they're probably doable. You just need to be patient.

I would recommend starting with some basic DC circiuts, making an effort to understand what you are doing. There are many (Google is your friend!) sites dealing with basic AC/DC electrical fundamentals. When you have learned the function of the basic components you can then move on to more complicated circiuts and have some hope of understanding what they are about.

Get yourself a Radio Shack electric project kit (if they still make them). Disregard any age suggestions. I still have mine (though I haven't played with it in a while).

Originally posted by david90
i'm really into electronic but right now i have a limited knowledge of electronic circuit. Is there a place that has basic electronic projects that I can built and learn at the same time?

I like the projects at http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/index.asp but they're too advance for me. Do u think I can build some of these projects with limited electronic skills? Is there more than just gathering parts and assemble it like the schematic?
You need a goal. Set your goal, even if its far beyond you now, and then move slowly towards it. You'll have to learn a lot on the way, but having single goal ahead, you can notice your progress. By building stuff at random, it'll be hard for you feel the sense of it.

As general suggestion, before you build anything, first make hard effort to understand how it works. If you don't understand what you are doing, its a monkey business. There is such concept as ability to "read schematics", like a story if you like. If your into it, you need to learn "reading". For that you need to know a bunch of rules, typical schematic units, so you can recognize them like "words", then understand their interactions in more complex circuits, so you can understand them like "sentences". Ultimately, you'd be able to take any schematic, and have fun just looking at it, because you'd recognise what's been done, why done so, and often find surprises as to why the author has done something you'd not think of. Especially fun with analog circuits, digital stuff looses "personality".

I started with goal to build hi-fi audio system from components. And I was just "blank" at a time. It kept me busy for years. And although I didn't finish (its eternal process) as "life got me", I don't regret a single minute of that time.

Reproducing someone elses schematic is easiest part. Much more interesting is "creation" of your own schematic that works, is better and more efficient. And know, that science and art of electronic design is far from finished, there are breakthroughs ahead, and you can be part of it.

Your Electronic Guru

You can ask me anything about electronic circuits, I can solve all your circuit related problems within minutes.

Contact me at hitman2008@live.in

there are plenty of hobbby sites where people share ideas and projects.

here's one i used to frequent. we helped a 'newbie' build himself an inexpensive high quality stereo that'd plug into his computer's audio jack. he learned about amplifiers, speakers, crossovers, enclosures and thiele parameters..
he went on to make an amplified subwoofer.

http://www.discovercircuits.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7783&page=1

google electronic hobby sites and decide how you want to start.

you'll need an inexpensive soldering iron
and small pliers and cutter- Sears has a nice set around $20.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-700-PTS-Points-Solderless-PCB-Bread-Board-Breadboard-/180501129861?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a06b4aa85

I bought these. Very good quality, and saved me a lot of hours of soldering.

Though you do need to learn how to solder, but this breadboard is something for you, because you are still learning. Easy to experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed, this thread is ahm 7 years old :D

1. What is the best way to start learning about electronic circuits?

The best way to start learning about electronic circuits is to first understand the basic principles and components of circuits. This includes learning about voltage, current, resistance, and how different components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors work together to create a functioning circuit. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of circuit diagrams and how to read them.

2. Do I need to have a background in math or science to build electronic circuits?

While having a background in math and science can certainly be helpful when learning about electronic circuits, it is not necessary. There are many online resources and tutorials available that can teach you the basics of circuit building without requiring a strong math or science background. With practice and patience, anyone can learn to build electronic circuits.

3. What tools and equipment do I need to build electronic circuits?

The tools and equipment needed to build electronic circuits can vary depending on the complexity of the circuit. However, some essential tools include a breadboard, wires, resistors, capacitors, and a power supply. It is also helpful to have a multimeter for testing and troubleshooting your circuits. As you progress in your learning, you may also need more specialized tools such as soldering irons and oscilloscopes.

4. How can I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

If a circuit is not working, the first step is to check all of your connections and make sure they are secure. You can also use a multimeter to check for any faulty components or incorrect values. It may also be helpful to refer back to your circuit diagram and double-check all of the components and their placement. If you are still having trouble, there are many online forums and communities where you can ask for help and advice from experienced circuit builders.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building electronic circuits?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building electronic circuits. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and wear safety goggles when soldering. Avoid touching any exposed wires or components while the circuit is powered. It is also important to use a power supply with the correct voltage and current for your circuit to prevent any damage or accidents. Always refer to safety guidelines and instructions when working with electronic circuits.