Special Relativity: Solving for τ

In summary, linearity in special relativity means that the partial derivatives of τ with respect to x' and t must be constants. This allows us to transform the first equation in the conversation into the second equation, with the unknown function of v represented by a.
Holystromboli
I'm on my first pass through special relativity and I can't remember the math that would take me from:

(∂τ/∂x') + (ν/(c22))(∂τ/∂t) = 0

To

τ = φ(ν)(t - (ν/(c2 - ν2))x')

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, sorry for the terrible format, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do equations the right way. Any tips in that direction that would apply to an iPhone would be much appreciated as well... :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Holystromboli said:
Any help would be appreciated.

Where are you getting these equations from?

Here:
http://fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
Sorry about that. It's an adaptation of the 1905 Einstein paper On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies. I followed the math through section 3 up until the derivation of the first equation in my post, but I can't remember why an assumption of linearity would allow me to transform the first equation in my post into the second.

Holystromboli said:
I can't remember why an assumption of linearity would allow me to transform the first equation in my post into the second.

Linearity means that ##\partial \tau / \partial x'## and ##\partial \tau / \partial t## must be constants--i.e., they cannot be functions of ##x'## or ##t##. (They can still depend on ##v##, because ##v## is not a function of any of the coordinates.) So we must have ##\tau = k_1 t + k_2 x'##, where ##k_1## and ##k_2## are constants. The first equation in your OP then let's you find the values of ##k_1## and ##k_2##, up to an unknown function of ##v## (the ##a## in the second equation).

Last edited:
Perfect. Thanks!

Related to Special Relativity: Solving for τ

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It explains how objects in motion are affected by their relative speeds and how this affects the perception of time and space.

2. What is the significance of solving for τ in special relativity?

τ, also known as proper time, is a fundamental concept in special relativity. It represents the time experienced by an object or observer in its own frame of reference. Solving for τ allows us to understand how time is affected by the speed of an object and to make predictions about how objects will behave in different frames of reference.

3. How is τ calculated in special relativity?

The equation for calculating τ is τ = t/γ, where t is the time measured in the observer's frame of reference and γ is the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the object's velocity. This equation takes into consideration the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the object.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving for τ in special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, such as GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear reactors. Solving for τ allows us to accurately measure time and understand how it is affected by objects in motion. This is crucial in technologies that require precise timing and in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. What are some common misconceptions about solving for τ in special relativity?

One common misconception is that τ is the same as the time measured by a stationary observer. In reality, τ is the time experienced by the moving object or observer. Another misconception is that τ is always equal to t, when in fact it can be greater or smaller depending on the relative speed of the object. Additionally, it is important to note that τ is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction, unlike velocity or acceleration.