Special Relativity Rocket Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two rockets, A and B, leaving a space station with velocity vectors va and vb relative to the station frame S, perpendicular to each other. The summary also mentions the determination of the velocity of B relative to A, vab, and the explanation as to why vab and vba do not point in opposite directions. It is concluded that this is due to the relativity of space and the dependence on viewpoint.
dpeagler
1. Two rockets, A and B, leave a space station with velocity vectors va and vb relative to the station frame S, perpendicular to each other.

(a) Determine the velocity of A and to B, vba.

(b) Determine the velocity of B relative to A, vab.

(c) Explain why vab and vba do not point in opposite directions

Homework Equations

U' = ( U - v ) / (1 - (vU/c^2) )

The Attempt at a Solution

I have mulled over this problem for a while now and I know that since we don't have values for the velocities that U' will be some percent of U, but I am getting confused on the fact that the two velocity vectors are perpendicular to each other, which I didn't think would matter.

Perhaps there is something to the vector being extended by both vectors simultaneously increasing?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I completed part A and B, but have no idea why the two vectors aren't opposite of each other. If anyone could just nudge me into the correct thinking that would be amazing.

I'm totally not amazing, but I may share my opinion on this. The conventional idea about space is that space does NOT change howsoever you look at it, regardless of the reference frame you choose. That the distance between 2 points is fixed regardless of reference frame is one example. That means, space is an absolute thing. But, as far as I understand, relativity theory has pointed out that notion is not true, i.e. space is dependent on the viewpoint. Therefore I think comparing the direction of Vab and Vba is quite pointless (not really "pointless" because at least, it bugs us to think more about relativity :biggrin:). Each vector is defined in its corresponding reference frame, in its own space. There is no reason to be surprised at that Vab and Vba "are not in opposite direction", as that's meaningless when it comes to relativity.
But, what do I know? :rolleyes:

Related to Special Relativity Rocket Problem

1. What is the Special Relativity Rocket Problem?

The Special Relativity Rocket Problem is a thought experiment used to explain the principles of Special Relativity, which is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It involves a rocket traveling at high speeds and how time and space are perceived differently for observers on the rocket and on Earth.

2. How does the Special Relativity Rocket Problem relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is made up of two parts: Special Relativity and General Relativity. The Special Relativity Rocket Problem specifically deals with the principles of Special Relativity, which explains how time and space are relative and can be perceived differently based on an observer's perspective and relative motion.

3. What is time dilation in the Special Relativity Rocket Problem?

Time dilation refers to the phenomenon where time passes at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. In the Special Relativity Rocket Problem, time dilation occurs because the rocket is moving at high speeds, causing time to pass slower for the observers on the rocket compared to those on Earth.

4. How does the Special Relativity Rocket Problem affect the concept of simultaneity?

The Special Relativity Rocket Problem challenges the concept of simultaneity, which is the idea that events happening at the same time for one observer also happen at the same time for another observer. In the thought experiment, observers on the rocket and on Earth may perceive events to happen at different times due to the effects of time dilation and the relativity of simultaneity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Special Relativity Rocket Problem?

The principles of Special Relativity, including those demonstrated in the Special Relativity Rocket Problem, have been applied in various ways in modern technology, such as in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and satellite communications. It also has implications for space travel and understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds.