Special Relativity of electrons

R: In summary, the first conversation discusses the positioning of two stationary electrons in order to double their total mass and the calculation of various equations for velocity and energy. The second conversation involves attempting to solve a problem involving two objects moving at different speeds in relation to a spaceship. The solution can be found using a specific equation from the given website.
whitehorsey
1. How close would two stationary electrons have to be positioned so that their total mass is twice what it is when the electrons are very far apart?

2. p = (mv) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
E = (mc2) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
E = mc2
m = (rest mass) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
L = (proper length)*(squareroot(1-(v2/c2))

3. m = 2(rest mass)
v = 6.75 * 1016

I solved up to the velocity but I don't know how to calculate the distance.

1. A spacecraft approaching the Earth launches an exploration vehicle. After the launch, an observer on Earth sees the spacecraft approaching at a speed of 0.50c and the exploration vehicle approaching at a speed of 0.70c. What is the speed of the exploration vehicle relative to the spaceship?

2. u = (u' + v) / (1 + (u;v/ c2))
u' = (u - v) / ( 1- (uv/c2))

3. I attempted this problem by setting u' equal to each other (each u either represents the exploration vehicle or the spaceship). But, I got stuck. I didn't know which v was for which vehicle/spaceship.

Physics news on Phys.org
whitehorsey said:
1. How close would two stationary electrons have to be positioned so that their total mass is twice what it is when the electrons are very far apart?

2. p = (mv) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
E = (mc2) / (squareroot(1-(v2/c2))
E = mc2
L = (proper length)*(squareroot(1-(v2/c2))

3. m = 2(rest mass)
v = 6.75 * 1016

I solved up to the velocity but I don't know how to calculate the distance.
The electrical potential energy has to equal 2me2. What is the expression for that potential energy in terms of distance between the electrons?

1. A spacecraft approaching the Earth launches an exploration vehicle. After the launch, an observer on Earth sees the spacecraft approaching at a speed of 0.50c and the exploration vehicle approaching at a speed of 0.70c. What is the speed of the exploration vehicle relative to the spaceship?
Use http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/einvel.html#c1"

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Special Relativity of electrons

What is special relativity of electrons?

Special relativity of electrons is a theory in physics that describes the behavior of electrons in motion at speeds close to the speed of light. It is a fundamental theory of modern physics proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905.

How does special relativity affect the behavior of electrons?

Special relativity predicts that as an electron's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase significantly. This causes time dilation and length contraction, which can be observed in experiments with high-speed particles.

Does special relativity have any practical applications?

Yes, special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology. For example, it is used in particle accelerators to increase the energy and speed of particles, in GPS systems to account for the effects of time dilation on satellite clocks, and in nuclear power plants to calculate the energy released in nuclear reactions.

Is special relativity only applicable to electrons?

No, special relativity is a fundamental theory that applies to all objects in motion, not just electrons. However, it is most noticeable in particles with high speeds and small masses, such as electrons.

How does special relativity relate to general relativity?

Special relativity is a special case of general relativity, which is a more comprehensive theory that describes the effects of gravity on objects in motion. Special relativity only applies in the absence of gravity, while general relativity applies in all situations, including those with gravitational fields.