Special Relativity - energy-momentum conservation

In summary, the principle of energy-momentum conservation in special relativity states that the total energy and momentum of a closed system remains constant. This includes the concept of mass-energy equivalence and the exchange of energy and mass for momentum conservation. Energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects within a closed system. The speed of light is a constant in special relativity and is taken into account in the conservation equations. However, this principle does not apply in non-inertial reference frames, such as those experiencing acceleration or gravity.
rak576

Homework Statement

A positron of rest mass me, kinetic energy equal to its rest mass-energy, strikes an electron at rest. They annihilate, creating two high energy photons a and b. The photon a is emitted at the angle of 90 degress with respect to the direction of the incident positron.

(a) Split 4-vector law of energy-momentum conservation into energy and momentum conservation laws in the rest frame of the electron.

(b) Show that the total energy of the emitted photons Ea+Eb=3me*c^2 and that Eb^2 = Ea^2 + (p^2)*(c^2) where p is 3momentum of positron and Ea, Eb are energies of photons a and b.

(c) Use these results and identity E^2 = (p^2)*(c^2) + m0^2*c^4 to show Eb = 2me*c^2 and Ea = me*c^2. Find the direction of motion of photon b. In particular show that the angle between its direction and the direction of the positron is theta = arcsin(1/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Qp, Qe = 4momenta of positron and electron
Pa, Pb = 4momenta of photon a and b.

Qp = (2me*c, me*v) v=velocity of positron
Qe = (me*c, 0)
Pa = (Ea/c, Ea/c n) n=direction of photon
Pe = (Eb/c, Eb/c n)

This is far as I can get! Can anybody please help? Have I split up the conservation law okay?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A conservation law is usually represented as an equation. Here, a "split" would be to say

Momentum before = Momentum after
Energy before = Energy after

You have not done that.

Sorry, I didn't put that in.

Qp + Qe = Pa + Pb

That's only one equation. You need two plus you need to put in symbols for the rest masses, speed of positron, etc. in these two equations.

Related to Special Relativity - energy-momentum conservation

1. What is the principle of energy-momentum conservation in special relativity?

The principle of energy-momentum conservation in special relativity states that the total energy and momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal changes or interactions within the system. This means that energy and momentum can be transferred between different objects within the system, but the total amount always remains the same.

2. How does special relativity affect the conservation of energy and momentum?

Special relativity introduces the concept of mass-energy equivalence, which states that energy and mass are interchangeable. This means that the total energy of a system must also include the mass of the objects within it, and this total energy must be conserved. Additionally, special relativity also shows that momentum is not conserved in the traditional sense, but rather in a more complex way that involves the exchange of energy and mass.

3. Can energy and momentum be created or destroyed in special relativity?

No, the principle of energy-momentum conservation in special relativity states that energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects within a closed system. This is a fundamental law of physics that holds true in all inertial reference frames.

4. How does the speed of light impact energy-momentum conservation in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted as c, is a constant in special relativity and is a fundamental part of the equations used to calculate energy and momentum. As a result, the conservation of energy and momentum in special relativity takes into account the fact that the speed of light is constant and that energy and momentum are relative to the speed of light.

5. Are there any exceptions to the principle of energy-momentum conservation in special relativity?

The principle of energy-momentum conservation in special relativity is a fundamental law in physics and holds true in all inertial reference frames. However, it does not apply in non-inertial reference frames, such as those experiencing acceleration or gravity. In these cases, the equations used in special relativity must be modified to take into account the non-inertial nature of the reference frame.