Special Relativity (1-dimensional Lorentz Transformation)

In summary, during class, the standard Lorentz transformation was discussed and it was mentioned that the inertial velocity, dx/dt, could be found by dividing dx' and dt' in the equations x' = γ(x-vt) and t' = γ[t-(v/c2)x], where γ=(1-v2/c2)-1/2. However, when asked about what happens when dv is non-zero, it was stated that the equations do not hold unless dv=0. This is because in special relativity, only inertial frames of reference are allowed and v is the relative velocity between the two frames. If the frames are not inertial or v is changing, then the equations do not hold. Furthermore,
Harrisonized

Homework Statement

During class today, I was told that:

x' = γ(x-vt)
y' = y
z' = z
t' = γ[t-(v/c2)x],
where γ=(1-v2/c2)-1/2

(This is just the standard Lorentz transformation.)

Then I was told that we could find dx/dt, the inertial velocity, by finding dx' and dt' and dividing them.

Homework Equations

dx' = dγ(x-vt)+γ(dx-v.dt-t.dv)
dt' = dγ[t-(v/c2)x]+γ[dt-(v/c2)x-(1/c2)x.dv)]
dγ = (-1/2)(1-v2/c2)-3/2(-2v.dv) = vγ3.dv

Hence,

dx' = [vγ3(x-vt)-γt]dv + γ(dx-v.dt)
dt' = [vγ3(t-v/c2x)-γt]dv + γ(dt-v/c2.dx)

We set dv=0, and we end up with

dx'/dt' = (dx-v.dt)/(dt-v/c2.dx)
= (dx/dt)[(1-v(dt/dx))/(1-v/c2(dx/dt))]
= [(dx/dt)-v]/[1-v/c2(dx/dt)]

and consequently:

dx/dt = [dx'/dt'+v]/(1+v/c2(dx'/dt')], which is what one would expect.

The Attempt at a Solution

But then I inquired about what happens when dv is non-zero, since the entire equation looks like:

dx' = [vγ3(x-vt)-γt]dv + γ(dx-v.dt)
dt' = [vγ3(t-v/c2x)-γt]dv + γ(dt-v/c2.dx)

My TA told me that the equations don't hold, and that people have actually proven that the equation doesn't hold unless dv=0. My question is: why? I feel that my TA was just trying to escape answering the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I would say that your derivation is not quite right. (This often happens in long derivations, it is almost certain to go wrong at some part).
Harrisonized said:
dt' = dγ[t-(v/c2)x]+γ[dt-(v/c2)x-(1/c2)x.dv)]
This isn't right, the term -γ(v/c2)x should be -γ(v/c2)dx But luckily in your next equation for dt', you do have the dx, so maybe it was just a mis-type that you forgot the d?

Also, dγ is not right. (You can tell because it is not dimensionally correct). But because dγ cancels out in the final expression, it does not matter, and you still get the right answer at the end.

About your question... v is the relative velocity between the two frames of reference. What do you know about the allowed frames of reference in special relativity? This will give the answer to why dv must be zero.

Good catch. It is a typo, but PF won't let me edit the first post.

Anyways, I don't see why terms can just be ignored if they are dimensionally incorrect. For example, I could argue that dx'/dt' is dimensionally correct when dx/dt=0. I don't agree with just erasing terms just because they're dimensionally incorrect. For example, I can write the motion of a particle on a line as

x=(t2-1).sin(t)

That definitely does not have the correct units, and if I wanted to find dx/dt, it still won't have the correct units.

Surely, there must be a better explanation for throwing it out? Maybe part of the construction?

BruceW said:
About your question... v is the relative velocity between the two frames of reference. What do you know about the allowed frames of reference in special relativity? This will give the answer to why dv must be zero.

The only allowed reference frame is the inertial reference frame. But how do you know it's inertial, and what do you do for cases in which v is changing? I mean, in real life, v can change, right?

Harrisonized said:
Anyways, I don't see why terms can just be ignored if they are dimensionally incorrect. For example, I could argue that dx'/dt' is dimensionally correct when dx/dt=0. I don't agree with just erasing terms just because they're dimensionally incorrect.

Yes, I agree, I'm not saying that any terms should be erased because they are dimensionally incorrect. I just mean your equation for dγ is not right. So you should go back to γ, and find dγ again, and do the derivation again using the correct dγ.

Harrisonized said:
The only allowed reference frame is the inertial reference frame. But how do you know it's inertial, and what do you do for cases in which v is changing? I mean, in real life, v can change, right?
This webpage gives a good explanation about inertial frames: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_frame_of_reference
And I'm not sure what you mean by v can change in real life... The frames of reference are what we define them to be. Do you mean "what if we want to use an inertial frame of reference which is rigidly attached to an accelerating observer"? Well, in special relativity, we can't. But this doesn't mean we can't make calculations about the motion of that accelerating person, it's just that we must use an inertial frame of reference to make the calculations with respect to.

Let me try that again.

γ=(1-v2/c2)-1/2
dγ=(-1/2)(1-v2/c2)-3/2(-2v/c2).dv)
dγ=γ3(v/c2).dv)

I see. It looks dimensionally correct now. γ is unit-less and v/c2).dv cancels into a unit-less quantity.

yep, that's right :)

Related to Special Relativity (1-dimensional Lorentz Transformation)

1. How does special relativity differ from classical physics?

Special relativity is a theory that explains the relationship between space and time in the presence of objects moving at high speeds. It differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the fact that the speed of light is constant and is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the physical laws and equations should have the same form in all inertial reference frames, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how space and time coordinates change for an observer in motion. It is used in special relativity to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

4. How does special relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to special relativity, time is not absolute but is relative to the observer's frame of reference. When an object moves at high speeds, its time appears to slow down for an observer in a different frame of reference. This is known as time dilation and is a consequence of the constant speed of light.

5. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter 'c', is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe and is the same for all observers. Special relativity is based on the principle that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, and the constancy of the speed of light allows for this principle to hold true.