Sparkling water and carbonic acid

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Water
In summary, according to this article, carbonated water may not be as harmless as we think. It may contain harmful carbonic acid, and some brands may be more corrosive to teeth than other brands.
I drink 2-3 sparkling waters a day (La Croix). I look at the nutrition back and it contains nothing but carbonated water and natural flavors. So I think it's completely harmless. Now I am learning this "carbonated water" may be more than I think. Apparently it contains carbonic acid which can be harmful to teeth. I think it's seriously misleading that they don't have to put carbonic acid on the label.

The Sad Truth About Seltzer
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...d-truth-about-seltzer/433947/?utm_source=SFFB

Biology news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I drink 2-3 sparkling waters a day (La Croix). I look at the nutrition back and it contains nothing but carbonated water and natural flavors. So I think it's completely harmless. Now I am learning this "carbonated water" may be more than I think. Apparently it contains carbonic acid which can be harmful to teeth. I think it's seriously misleading that they don't have to put carbonic acid on the label.

The Sad Truth About Seltzer
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...d-truth-about-seltzer/433947/?utm_source=SFFB
It should be fine, drinking it cold in away, CO2 stays as is and does not mingle with water to form Carbonic Acid. You could differentiate the taste of none chilled soda with cold ones. When it taste sour(when its hot-at ambient temp.), it may affect your teeth and worsen stomach acidity.

In Chemistry, rate of reaction depends on temperature. For CO2+H2O↔H2CO3, is endothermic reaction. The reverse process would be exothermic.

Here is a paper examining this:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=2D238FA5BFF6FC5DD642A245312BF5FF.f03t02
They use flavored sparkling water with a ph of 3.0. This is closer to what soda would be which contains other acids.

This study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11556958
shows that normal unflavored seltzer water has about 1% of the tooth eroding ability of soda.

This is less acidic than most of the foods that we eat on an everyday basis. It would be impossible to make plain carbonic acid at a ph of 3.0 in human drinkable conditions so I wouldn't worry about causing an acid stomach either.

Also the solubility of CO2 in water is greater at lower temperatures so any increased sour taste at warmer temperatures is likely due to the fact that materials at a warmer temperature have more flavor than at a colder temperature.

BoB

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Soda's Coke etc. do not carry warning labels but are now considered significant health risks because of the sugar content. For whatever reason perhaps the inclusion of phosphoric or citric acids that are added, some Soda are estimated to be 100 times more corrosive to teeth than carbonated water.

You can find a list of beverages and their pH http://www.rocktondental.com/docs/Dental_PH_drink_tab.pdf.

gleem said:
Soda's Coke etc. do not carry warning labels but are now considered significant health risks because of the sugar content. For whatever reason perhaps the inclusion of phosphoric or citric acids that are added, some Soda are estimated to be 100 times more corrosive to teeth than carbonated water.

You can find a list of beverages and their pH http://www.rocktondental.com/docs/Dental_PH_drink_tab.pdf.

Thanks but, this topic is about sparkling water

Greg Bernhardt said:
H2O + CO2 = carbonated water = dilute carbonic acid

Are you saying it's misleading to use the less alarming name on the product label? Maybe, though it's probably better understood by most people.

And it certainly avoids any potential confusion with stinky carbolic acid!

Related to Sparkling water and carbonic acid

1. What is carbonic acid and how is it related to sparkling water?

Carbonic acid is a weak acid that is formed when carbon dioxide gas dissolves in water. In sparkling water, carbonic acid is responsible for the bubbles and fizz that are characteristic of this type of beverage.

2. Is sparkling water and carbonic acid harmful to our health?

No, sparkling water and carbonic acid are not harmful to our health. Carbonic acid is a naturally occurring compound and is found in various foods and drinks. However, some people may experience discomfort or bloating when consuming sparkling water due to the carbonation.

3. How is carbonic acid produced in sparkling water?

Carbonic acid is produced in sparkling water through a process called carbonation. Carbon dioxide gas is dissolved into water under pressure, creating carbonic acid. When the pressure is released, the carbonic acid breaks down into carbon dioxide gas, giving the water its characteristic bubbles.

4. Can carbonic acid in sparkling water damage teeth?

No, the amount of carbonic acid in sparkling water is too small to cause any damage to teeth. However, some flavored sparkling waters may contain added sugars or acids that can contribute to tooth decay. It is always best to check the ingredients list before consuming any flavored sparkling water.

5. What is the difference between sparkling water and soda?

The main difference between sparkling water and soda is the added sugars and flavorings in soda. Sparkling water may also contain natural flavors, but it typically does not contain added sugars. Additionally, soda is more acidic than sparkling water, which can lead to tooth decay and other health concerns.