Spark voltage in a car engine.

In summary, an algorithm is needed to calculate the voltage needed to spark over a 1mm gap in air at 760 torr.
CHICAGO
HI, my friends

Lets imagine a car engine combustion chamber which is fed with an estequiometric fuel mixture (gasoline+air) with a 1mm plug gap.

Is there an aproximate algorithm to solve out what voltage is needed to create a spark, based on gas pressure and temperature?.

I don't want to include variables such a gas turbulence, or other possible parameter that may alter that required voltage.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
At very low pressures (ideal gas) there is a simple formula but I don't think it would apply at IC engine piston pressures.

mgb_phys said:
At very low pressures (ideal gas) there is a simple formula but I don't think it would apply at IC engine piston pressures.

Well, really, it is after sparking, when combustion starts what creates the very high pressure to push the pistons. But before the combustion starts, the pressure will be in the range of CR, more or less. Say 150 psi´s ?

In the case of air we need about 5000 volts for sparking over a 1mm gap at 760 torr.

What is that voltage for a fuel/air stoichiometric mixture keeping those conditions?

I just want an approach.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Regards.

CHICAGO said:
Well, really, it is after sparking, when combustion starts what creates the very high pressure to push the pistons. But before the combustion starts, the pressure will be in the range of CR, more or less. Say 150 psi´s ?
The corona discharge formula is for much less than 1atm

Breakdown voltage of dry air at STP is 32MV/m so 32KV/mm but in reality air will break down at much lower voltages and the actual figure is very sensitive to any water or dust present.

A quick google search produces a few papers for modelling engine ignition but they are all behind pay for jouranls.

mgb_phys said:
Breakdown voltage of dry air at STP is 32MV/m so 32KV/mm but in reality air will break down at much lower voltages and the actual figure is very sensitive to any water or dust present.
Funny about this. Yesterday evening while watching the lightning after a storm we had here, I estimated the cloud to cloud lightning "arcs" being about 3 miles. That would take over [STRIKE]58,000MV[/STRIKE] 150,000MV if it weren't for all the water in those clouds. :smile:

Last edited:
Expect a voltage anywhere between 10 and 30 kV, I think?

I haven't succeeded yet in my search.

regards

Related to Spark voltage in a car engine.

What is spark voltage in a car engine?

Spark voltage is the electrical charge that is sent through the spark plugs in a car engine to ignite the fuel and air mixture in the combustion chamber.

Why is spark voltage important in a car engine?

Spark voltage is crucial because it is responsible for starting the engine and keeping it running. Without the proper spark voltage, the engine will not be able to produce the necessary power to operate.

What is the ideal spark voltage for a car engine?

The ideal spark voltage varies depending on the type of engine and its condition. Generally, it should fall within the range of 20,000 to 40,000 volts.

How can I check the spark voltage in my car engine?

You can check the spark voltage by using a spark tester. This tool connects to the spark plug wire and measures the voltage as the engine is cranked. The reading should fall within the ideal range for your specific engine.

What can cause low spark voltage in a car engine?

There are several factors that can contribute to low spark voltage, including worn or dirty spark plugs, a weak ignition coil, faulty spark plug wires, or a low battery. It is important to regularly maintain and replace these components to ensure proper spark voltage in your car engine.