Spanning Sets in R3: Determine Vectors

• Thread starter TaliskerBA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, to determine whether the given vectors span R3, you can use the method of creating an augmented matrix and reducing it using row operations. If the resulting matrix has three nonzero rows, then the vectors span R3. If the resulting matrix has fewer than three nonzero rows, then the vectors do not span R3.
TaliskerBA

Homework Statement

Determine whether the given vectors span R3:
v1=(3,1,4) v2=(2,-3,5) v3=(5,-2,9) v4=(1,4,-1)

Homework Equations

I need to show that an arbitrary point in R3 can be written as:

(b1,b2,b3)=k1(3,1,4)+k2(2,-3,5)+k3(5,-2,9)+k4(1,4,-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when you have 3 different vectors and have to work out if they span R3 you can write the coefficient matrix and find out if the determinant of that matrix is equal to zero or not.

Therefore I know that:

3k1 + 2k2 + 5k3 + k4 = b1
k1 + (-3)k2 + (-2)k3 + 4k4 = b2
4k1 + 5k2 + 9k3 + (-1)k4 = b3

Since this augmented matrix is 3x4 I can't use the determinant method I used before (unless I use a long-winded method of working out if 3 vectors span at a time).

I apologise if this is quite basic I am only just learning about vector spaces!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're familiar with the term augmented matrix, then maybe you're familiar with the idea of reducing a matrix using row operations. If so, row reduce the augmented matrix. If you end up with three nonzero rows, the vectors span R3. If you end up with fewer than three nonzero rows, the vectors don't span R3.

Yeah that works, thanks!

Related to Spanning Sets in R3: Determine Vectors

1. What is the definition of a spanning set in R3?

A spanning set in R3 is a set of vectors that can be used to create any vector in the three-dimensional space. This means that any vector in R3 can be represented as a linear combination of the vectors in the spanning set.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors spans R3?

To determine if a set of vectors spans R3, you can use the Gaussian elimination method or row reduction to put the vectors in a matrix and check if the matrix has a pivot in every row. If it does, then the set of vectors spans R3.

3. Can a set of two vectors span R3?

No, a set of two vectors cannot span R3 because R3 is a three-dimensional space and two vectors can only span a two-dimensional space.

4. Is it possible for a set of vectors to span a space other than R3?

Yes, a set of vectors can span a space other than R3. The number of vectors in the set will determine the dimension of the space that can be spanned. For example, a set of three vectors can span R3, while a set of two vectors can span a plane in R3.

5. How can you find a spanning set for a subspace of R3?

To find a spanning set for a subspace of R3, you can use the same method as finding a spanning set for R3. Put the vectors in a matrix and use Gaussian elimination or row reduction to determine if the matrix has a pivot in every row. If it does, then the set of vectors spans the subspace.