SpaceX in-flight abort test (success)

In summary: I expect that the pad abort test has the same weather requirements as a real crewed launch. There is no ISS orbit to consider, so they have a long launch window each day. 13:00 UTC to 19:00 UTC now, a 6 hour window.Target is now 15:00 UTC, in 2.5 hours. Here is live coverage.Splashdown!Success!Recovery of the test dummies and the capsule will take a bit longer, but the capsule splashed down into the ocean safely.
Edit: This was split out of the space stuff and launch info thread.

The in-flight abort of Dragon 2 is planned for Saturday (18th) 13:00 UTC, this is one day and 12 hours after my post. It is a 4 hour launch window, as this is a test it is quite possible that the launch is pushed back within the window.

Just two days and 4 hours later (Jan 20, 17:20 UTC) SpaceX will launch yet another batch of Starlink satellites - only 13 days after the last one. The satellites might be visible in Europe very quickly after launch as extremely compact and bright train after one orbit.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
The in-flight abort of Dragon 2 is planned for Saturday (18th) 13:00 UTC, this is one day and 12 hours after my post.
24 hour delay for high winds and rough seas at capsule recovery area. :frown:

Starlink shifted by one day, too. Jan 21, 16:59 UTC. The 21 minute shift accounts for orbital precession of the satellites.

I expect that the pad abort test has the same weather requirements as a real crewed launch. There is no ISS orbit to consider, so they have a long launch window each day. 13:00 UTC to 19:00 UTC now, a 6 hour window.

Splashdown!

Success!
Recovery of the test dummies and the capsule will take a bit longer, but the capsule splashed down into the ocean safely.

The remaining rocket exploded a bit after Dragon separated, as expected.

Can't wait for the crewed flight - NASA says early March the earliest, so probably not March, but April to May sounds realistic.Edit: Video of separation and explosion.

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook
mfb said:
the test dummies
Ahem! They prefer to be called test mannequins... :wink:

Likes OCR
They didn't object to being called test dummies.

I split out the discussion of the in-flight abort test.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes berkeman
I live near KSC/CCAS. My dog is a veteran of hundreds of launches - he usually peers suspiciously at the front windows when he hears a rocket. The booster explosion yesterday just about delaminated him (it was extremely loud) - he wouldn't come out of the bathtub for 15 minutes.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda and berkeman

Related to SpaceX in-flight abort test (success)

1. What is the purpose of the SpaceX in-flight abort test?

The purpose of the SpaceX in-flight abort test is to demonstrate the spacecraft's ability to safely abort a mission in case of an emergency during launch.

2. How does the in-flight abort system work?

The in-flight abort system consists of eight SuperDraco engines located on the sides of the spacecraft. In case of an emergency, these engines ignite and propel the spacecraft away from the rocket, allowing it to land safely.

3. Was the in-flight abort test successful?

Yes, the in-flight abort test conducted by SpaceX on January 19, 2020, was successful. The spacecraft successfully separated from the rocket and landed safely in the Atlantic Ocean.

4. What are the potential benefits of a successful in-flight abort system?

A successful in-flight abort system provides an added layer of safety for astronauts during launch. It also allows for more flexibility in launch schedules and reduces the risk of catastrophic failures.

5. What are the next steps for SpaceX after the successful in-flight abort test?

The next step for SpaceX is to conduct a crewed flight test, where astronauts will be on board during the in-flight abort test. This will be followed by the first crewed mission to the International Space Station using the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft.