Spaceship Escape speed understanding

In summary, the speed of a spaceship launched from Earth's surface with initial speed v will be equal to the square root of the difference between its initial kinetic energy and the gravitational potential energy of Earth, divided by the mass of the spaceship and the gravitational constant. This can be simplified by multiplying the 2/m term through the other terms.
Patdon10

Homework Statement

A spaceship is launched from the Earth's surface with a speed v. The radius of the Earth is R. What will its speed be when it is very far from the Earth? (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: G for the gravitational constant, m for the mass of the spaceship, and M for the mass of the Earth.)

What is V_f?

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm really not sure what my teacher is looking for. I tried sqroot(2GM/R) to no avail. Any ideas?

I also know vf = vi + at. What could I substitute in for the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Patdon10 said:
I also know vf = vi + at. What could I substitute in for the acceleration?
The vf - vi = at formula only works for uniform acceleration. But that doesn't apply here because the acceleration changes throughout the trip.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to assume that the spaceship was launched into space as if launched from a catapult. In other words, once it gets away from the Earth's surface, it drifts naturally without using any significant thrust or propulsion. Assume the ship uses up all of its propulsion/fuel/etc, when launching, immediately after which the spaceship has mass m and speed v.

Here are some questions to ask yourself.
  • What is the initial kinetic energy of the spaceship?
  • What is the gravitational potential of Earth (with respect to infinity)?
  • Knowing Earth's gravitational potential, what is the difference in gravitational potential energy between a spaceship of mass m on the surface of the Earth and infinity?
  • So after reaching an infinite distance from Earth (well, let's just say "a long way from Earth"), how much kinetic energy is left over?

The equation I'm getting is total energy = (1/2)mv^2 - G*(mM/R+h)

How could I solve for v final from having the total energy? h = infinity

Patdon10 said:
The equation I'm getting is total energy = (1/2)mv^2 - G*(mM/R)
'Looks good :approve: but just make sure you note that the v in the above equation is the initial speed, vi.
K.E.final = ½mvi2 - G(Mm/R)​
How could I solve for v final from having the total energy?
Ummm, :rolleyes: I'm sure you already know this,
K.E.final = ½mvf2

well, yeah. I know that final kinetic energy is equal to that. However, why is it kinetic energy? Isn't it total Mechanical energy?...

You know what, you're right. Isn't it only kinetic energy because the potential energy is 0 (it's very far away)?

I tried
Untitled1-1.png
Still telling me it's the wrong answer : /

Patdon10 said:
I tried
Untitled1-1.png

Still telling me it's the wrong answer : /
I don't see anything wrong with your answer. But the program might be expecting you to simplify a little more maybe. You could multiply the 2/m through the other terms, getting rid of the variable m in the process.

Alright. I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot for the speedy responses.

Related to Spaceship Escape speed understanding

1. What is spaceship escape speed?

Spaceship escape speed is the minimum velocity a spacecraft needs to reach in order to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body (such as a planet or moon) and enter into orbit or travel to another destination.

2. How is spaceship escape speed calculated?

Spaceship escape speed is calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the spacecraft.

3. Does spaceship escape speed vary for different celestial bodies?

Yes, spaceship escape speed varies depending on the mass and size of the celestial body. For example, the escape speed for Earth is around 11.2 km/s, while the escape speed for the Moon is only 2.4 km/s.

4. What factors affect spaceship escape speed?

The main factors that affect spaceship escape speed are the mass and size of the celestial body, as well as the distance between the spacecraft and the body's center of gravity.

5. Why is understanding spaceship escape speed important?

Understanding spaceship escape speed is important for space exploration and travel. It helps scientists and engineers plan and design spacecraft missions, as well as determine the feasibility of reaching certain destinations in space.