Spaceship ejecting mass at right angles

In summary: No, the spacecraft 's mass decreased. That's why the right hand side of the equation should be ##m_s(t)## minus something, not plus something. And the mass that is subtracted should be positive. So, how would you express ##m_s(t+dt)## in terms of ##m_s(t)## and ##dm_e##? [Edited]Oh yes. The mass decreases.##m_s(t+dt)=m_s(t)-dm_e##Now I understand the sign error. Thank you very much! :smile:In summary, a spaceship of mass ##m_0## moves in
Saitama

Homework Statement

A spaceship of mass ##m_0## moves in the absence of external forces with a constant velocity ##v_0##. To change the motion direction, a jet engine is switched on. It starts ejecting a gas jet with velocity u which is constant relative to the spaceship and directed at right angles to the spaceship motion The engine is shut down when the mass of the spaceship decreases to ##m##. Through what angle ##\alpha## did the motion direction of the spaceship deviate due to the jet engine operation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there are no external forces, the momentum is conserved. Let the initial direction of motion be the x-axis. At time t, assume that spaceship rotates by an angle ##\theta## and its mass is m(t). The momentum in x direction is ##m(t)v_0\cos(\theta)##. When it ejects mass of dm at t+dt, let it rotate by angle ##d\theta##. The momentum in x-direction at t+dt is ##(m(t)-dm)v_0\cos(\theta+d\theta)+dm(u\sin\theta+v_0\cos\theta)##. Equating them and using ##\cos(\theta+d\theta)=\cos\theta-\sin\theta d\theta## gives
$$dm u=m(t)v_0d\theta$$
Solving the D.E (limits for ##\theta##: 0 to ##\alpha## and for m: ##m_0## to ##m##),
$$\alpha=(v_0/u)\ln(m/m_0)$$
But this is wrong. The given answer is ##\alpha=(v_0/u)\ln(m_0/m)##. I believe there is a sign error but I am not able to spot it. I am not sure if I approached the problem correctly.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.181.png
    1.181.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 630
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

ln(1/x) = … ? :wink:

Pranav-Arora said:
The given answer is ##\alpha=(v_0/u)\ln(m_0/m)##.
Are you sure this is the answer?

I believe there is a sign error but I am not able to spot it.

Hint: What you have called "##dm##" is not quite the differential of ##m(t)##.

I am not sure if I approached the problem correctly.

I think your approach is ok. But there is no loss of generality in choosing the orientation of the x-axis to be the direction of the velocity of the ship at time t. Then take momentum components in the y-direction for t and t + dt.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

ln(1/x) = … ? :wink:

-ln(x). Not sure how it helps though. I get a negative answer if I use this.

TSny said:
Are you sure this is the answer?
Sorry, it is ##(u/v_0)## instead of ##(v_0/u)##. :redface:

I too get ##(u/v_0)##. I wrote it wrong while making the post.
Hint: What you have called "##dm##" is not quite the differential of ##m(t)##.
Is it completely wrong or have I used incorrect notations? :confused:

I guess I should simply write m instead m(t) to avoid confusion.

I think your approach is ok. But there is no loss of generality in choosing the orientation of the x-axis to be the direction of the velocity of the ship at time t. Then take momentum components in the y-direction for t and t + dt.
At time t, momentum in y direction, ##mv_0\sin(\theta)##
At time t+dt, ##(m-dm)v_0\sin(\theta+d\theta)+dm(-u\cos\theta+v_0\sin\theta)##
Equating them and solving gives me the same answer again. I still cannot spot the sign error. :(

Suppose you write ##m_s(t)## for the mass of the ship and you let ##dm_e## be the mass ejected between t and t+dt. What is the relation between ##dm_e## and ##dm_s##?

The mass of the ship at t + dt is ##m_s(t+dt)##. How would you express ##m_s(t+dt)## in terms of ##m_s(t)## and ##dm_s##? How would you express ##m_s(t+dt)## in terms of ##m_s(t)## and ##dm_e##? [Edited]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
Since there are no external forces, the momentum is conserved.
Just to be clear, it is the momentum of the spaceship + exhaust cloud system that is conserved. The spaceship's momentum is not a conserved quantity.
Pranav-Arora said:
I still cannot spot the sign error. :(
The quantity that you designated as dm is the (positive) quantity of mass ejected by the spacecraft during the time interval dt. The mass of the exhaust cloud increases by dm. The mass of the spacecraft ? It decreases by dm. That's your sign error.

Pranav-Arora said:
A spaceship of mass ##m_0## …
… when the mass of the spaceship decreases to ##m##.

Solving the D.E (limits for ##\theta##: 0 to ##\alpha## and for m: ##m_0## to ##m##),
$$\alpha=(v_0/u)\ln(m/m_0)$$
But this is wrong. The given answer is ##\alpha=(v_0/u)\ln(m_0/m)##.

Pranav-Arora said:
-ln(x). Not sure how it helps though. I get a negative answer if I use this.

no, m < mo

so the given answer ##\alpha=(v_0/u)\ln(m_0/m)## is positive :smile:

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Suppose you write ##m_s(t)## for the mass of the ship and you let ##dm_e## be the mass ejected between t and t+dt. What is the relation between ##dm_e## and ##dm_s##?
##dm_s=-dm_e##?
The mass of the ship at t + dt is ##m_s(t+dt)##. How would you express ##m_s(t+dt)## in terms of ##m_s(t)## and ##dm_s##? How would you express ##m_s(t+dt)## in terms of ##m_s(t)## and ##dm_e##? [Edited]

##m_s(t+dt)=m_s(t)-dm_s=m_s(t)+dm_e##?

tiny-tim said:
no, m < mo

so the given answer ##\alpha=(v_0/u)\ln(m_0/m)## is positive :smile:
I know that the given answer is positive because m_0>m but I don't understand why do I get the negative answer.

Pranav-Arora said:
I know that the given answer is positive because m_0>m but I don't understand why do I get the negative answer.
Because you did this:

##m_s(t+dt)=m_s(t)-dm_s=m_s(t)+dm_e##?
Does that expression make any sense? (That's a rhetorical question. The answer is no.)

Here, ##dm_e## and ##dt## are (small) positive quantities, so what you are saying with that expression is that the spacecraft 's mass increases from time ##t## to time ##t+dt##.

Likes 1 person
D H said:
Does that expression make any sense? (That's a rhetorical question. The answer is no.)

Here, ##dm_e## and ##dt## are (small) positive quantities, so what you are saying with that expression is that the spacecraft 's mass increases from time ##t## to time ##t+dt##.
Okay sorry for my foolishness. So the correct relation is ##m_s(t+dt)=m_s(t)-dm_e=m(t)+dm_s##.

If I use the proper signs, I get the correct answer. Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Related to Spaceship ejecting mass at right angles

1. What is meant by "spaceship ejecting mass at right angles"?

"Spaceship ejecting mass at right angles" refers to the action of a spaceship releasing matter or energy in a direction perpendicular to its current trajectory or direction of motion.

2. Why would a spaceship need to eject mass at right angles?

A spaceship may need to eject mass at right angles in order to change its direction or velocity, either to avoid obstacles or to maneuver towards a specific destination.

3. How does a spaceship eject mass at right angles?

There are several ways a spaceship can eject mass at right angles, including using thrusters, propellants, or electromagnetic forces. The exact method will depend on the design and technology of the specific spaceship.

4. What are the potential consequences of a spaceship ejecting mass at right angles?

Ejecting mass at right angles can have both positive and negative consequences. On one hand, it can allow a spaceship to change its direction or velocity, enabling it to reach its intended destination. On the other hand, it can also cause a change in the spaceship's momentum, which can have an impact on its overall trajectory and fuel consumption.

5. Is ejecting mass at right angles a common practice in space travel?

Yes, ejecting mass at right angles is a common practice in space travel and is often necessary for successful missions. Many spacecrafts, such as satellites and rockets, use this technique to achieve specific trajectories and reach their desired destinations.