Space Travel & Relativity: Is it Possible?

In summary: For Rocket#2, Earth travels 0.9c reciprocally but Rocket#1 travels 0.99c not exceeding c, reciprocally to...In summary, from the perspective of an observer on Earth, nothing can move faster than the speed of light. From the perspective of a rocket traveling to another planet, it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light relative to the Earth. However, this would distort time for the observer, and from the perspective of the Earth, the rocket would be traveling at a slower speed than it actually is.
mccraggen
I had a bit of a thought experiment the other day, does relativity mean that technically you couldn’t travel faster than the speed of light to the observer. But if you were traveling from Earth to another planet, could you technically be traveling faster than the speed of light relative to the earth?

And if you did manage to be traveling faster than light relative to the Earth would this distort time to the observer and from the perspective of the earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
mccraggen said:
I had a bit of a thought experiment the other day, does relativity mean that technically you couldn’t travel faster than the speed of light to the observer. But if you were traveling from Earth to another planet, could you technically be traveling faster than the speed of light relative to the earth?

And if you did manage to be traveling faster than light relative to the Earth would this distort time to the observer and from the perspective of the earth?
Whenever you consider questions like this, you need to ask yourself, "What is the reference frame of the observer?" In this case, is the observer traveling to another planet, stuck at home on earth, or moving in some other direction? You can even consider observers in different reference frames, so you could for example have one on Earth and one on the spacecraft going to another planet. Once you settle that, you can answer your question, and the answer is this - no matter what the reference frame of the observer, nothing can move faster than the speed of light in that reference frame.

tnich said:
Whenever you consider questions like this, you need to ask yourself, "What is the reference frame of the observer?" In this case, is the observer traveling to another planet, stuck at home on earth, or moving in some other direction? You can even consider observers in different reference frames, so you could for example have one on Earth and one on the spacecraft going to another planet. Once you settle that, you can answer your question, and the answer is this - no matter what the reference frame of the observer, nothing can move faster than the speed of light in that reference frame.
Now, that said, in your observer's reference frame, two objects can be moving in opposite directions each at a speed greater than 0.5C so that their relative velocity in that reference frame is greater than c.

tnich said:
Now, that said, in your observer's reference frame, two objects can be moving in opposite directions each at a speed greater than 0.5C so that their relative velocity in that reference frame is greater than c.
Careful - that's not a "relative velocity". A relative velocity is always relative to an observer who considers themselves to be at rest while the other thing is moving. If A is moving to the left at .5c relative to me, and B is moving to the right at .5c relative to me, then they are both moving at .5c relative to me and the distance between them in the frame in which I am at rest is increasing by one light-second every second... but their speed relative to one another is not (.5+.5)c. To find their relative velocity you have to ask how fast one of them is moving in a frame in which the other is at rest, and that will be .8c by the relativistic velocity addition rule.

Velocity addition rule
[tex]V/c=\frac{u/c+v/c}{1+u/c\cdot v/c}<1[/tex] ,where [tex]0<u,v<c[/tex],
gives speed of less than light speed because
[tex](1-u/c)(1-v/c)>0[/tex]
[tex]1+u/c\cdot v/c >u/c+v/c [/tex]
[tex]\frac{u/c+v/c}{1+u/c\cdot v/c}<1[/tex]

I have never studied physics so this may be a silly question, but if I’m already traveling at half the speed of light, and since relativity is in regards to the observer or relative reference points could I technically be stationary?

If this was the case as you moved away from one person object faster and faster your speed relative to the object would change but not your own speed perhaps relative to other objects.

I was just thinking that traveling towards something at faster than the speed of light could actually mean traveling back in time relative to the object you are traveling towards, would this be correct?

There's nothing like "own speed". Speed is always relative to objects. Everyone feels he/she is staying still even if he/she is on car, train or plane. Is his/her own speed is zero?

Say Two rockets between of which the Earth lies, are traveling against each other. For Earth they have speed of 0.9c and -0.9c.
For Rocket#1, Earth travels -0.9c reciprocally but Rocket#2 travels -0.99c not exceeding c.
For Rocket#2, Earth travels 0.9c reciprocally but Rocket#1 travels 0.99c not exceeding c, reciprocally to Rocket#1.

Last edited:
mccraggen said:
I have never studied physics so this may be a silly question, but if I’m already traveling at half the speed of light, and since relativity is in regards to the observer or relative reference points could I technically be stationary?
There is no such thing as “stationary” without further specification. You can only be stationary relative to something else. This is true both in classical mechanics and relativity.
mccraggen said:
I was just thinking that traveling towards something at faster than the speed of light could actually mean traveling back in time relative to the object you are traveling towards, would this be correct?
Since this is impossible in relativity you should not expect relativity to give you any answer to this. It is like asking what the traffic laws tell you to do when the stop lights show blue.

Likes Sorcerer and Dale
#7 and #8 being said, it should also be pointed out that you can tell if you are accelerating or not.

Likes nitsuj and Sorcerer

Related to Space Travel & Relativity: Is it Possible?

1. Is it possible for humans to travel to other galaxies?

At this time, it is not possible for humans to travel to other galaxies. The vast distances between galaxies make it currently impossible for our technology to reach those destinations. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that may one day make intergalactic travel a possibility.

2. Can we travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object with mass to travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating. However, some scientists are exploring the concept of wormholes and other theories that may allow for faster-than-light travel.

3. How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, where time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds. This means that astronauts traveling at high speeds will experience time at a slower rate relative to those on Earth. This effect becomes more significant as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light.

4. Can we travel through black holes?

At this time, we do not have the technology or understanding to safely travel through a black hole. Black holes have an incredibly strong gravitational pull that would destroy any known substance and likely result in death. However, some scientists are exploring the possibility of using black holes as a means of transportation through the use of advanced technology.

5. What are the potential risks of long-term space travel?

Long-term space travel poses several risks, including exposure to high levels of radiation, bone and muscle loss, and psychological challenges. Additionally, the effects of microgravity on the human body are still not fully understood. To mitigate these risks, extensive research and preparation are necessary before undertaking long-term space travel.