Space & Time: How Are They Related?

In summary, space and time are intimately connected in our understanding of the universe. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, space and time are not separate entities but are intertwined in a four-dimensional fabric known as spacetime. This means that the fabric of space and time can be bent and warped by massive objects, creating what we perceive as gravity. Additionally, the concept of space-time allows us to understand the effects of time dilation, where time moves slower in areas with stronger gravitational forces. This understanding of the relationship between space and time has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has opened up new possibilities for exploration and discovery.
D0rk_L0rd
TL;DR Summary
I need help with my Research Project, specifically these 3 questions:
“What does warping space or time individually look like, and how can they be differentiated?”
“Can the topography of space be altered without changing the flow of time (even to a limited extent), or vice versa?”
“If space or time can (or cannot) be distorted in this way, how can (or why can’t) it be done?”
All help is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
D0rk_L0rd said:
Summary:: I need help with my Research Project, specifically these 3 questions:
“What does warping space or time individually look like, and how can they be differentiated?”
“Can the topography of space be altered without changing the flow of time (even to a limited extent), or vice versa?”
“If space or time can (or cannot) be distorted in this way, how can (or why can’t) it be done?”

All help is welcome!
What have you found out so far? E.g. Wikipedia has probably a lot to say about these questions. And what do you know about special relativity? The speed of light connects the two.

Hi @D0rk_L0rd , welcome to PF!

This question is sufficiently advanced that we will leave it here rather than in the homework section, but we don't just do people's homework for them here. We require that you show your own effort. We will help you take the next step from there.

If you don't have a reading list for your project, I will suggest looking at "Parable of the Surveyor" in "Space-time physics", which is the first chapter in Taylor & Wheeler's undergraduate special relativity textbook, "Space-time Physics". The first several chapters of the first edition are available free online at the author's website, at http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/stp/STP1stEdThruP20.pdf. This is the link to the actual download of the specific chapter I recommend, the top level of the website is http://www.eftaylor.com/.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, russ_watters, Nugatory and 2 others
I'll strongly second @pervect's recommendation of the Taylor and Wheeler book. You should also learn about Minkowski spacetime diagrams: the basic idea is that if an obect is moving along the x-axis you can plot its position at any given time on an x-t graph.

I do see that you started this thread with a B tag, indicating that you want answers appropriate for a high school physics class instead of a college-level one (algebra and trig but no calculus; no electromagnetic theory). Is this what you intended, or should we be pointing you at some more advanced sources as well?

Related to Space & Time: How Are They Related?

1. How are space and time related?

Space and time are two fundamental concepts that are intertwined in the fabric of the universe. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, space and time are not separate entities, but rather part of a single four-dimensional continuum known as spacetime. This means that events in the universe occur in both space and time, and cannot be fully understood without considering both factors.

2. Can space exist without time?

No, space cannot exist without time. As mentioned before, space and time are part of a single continuum and cannot be separated. Without time, there would be no way to measure or perceive the dimensions of space. Similarly, without space, there would be no place for events to occur and no way to measure the passage of time.

3. How does gravity affect space and time?

Gravity is a force that warps the fabric of spacetime. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects such as planets and stars create a curvature in spacetime, causing other objects to move towards them. This means that gravity has a direct effect on the way we experience both space and time.

4. Is time travel possible?

The concept of time travel is a popular topic, but it is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics. While some theories, such as wormholes and time dilation, suggest that time travel may be possible, there is no scientific evidence to support it. The laws of physics, particularly the laws of causality, make it highly unlikely that time travel will ever be achievable.

5. How does the expansion of the universe affect space and time?

The expansion of the universe is a phenomenon in which the distances between galaxies and other celestial bodies are increasing over time. This expansion is happening in both space and time, meaning that the fabric of spacetime itself is expanding. This has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the way we perceive space and time.