Space Time Curvature Question.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the volume of space-time curvature around a specific mass, as well as the angle of deflection of protons around a body. The idea of using parabolic equations and the metric tensor in general relativity is also mentioned as a potential method for calculating this volume. However, it is noted that these equations can be complex and messy.
futago92
Ok, I have been wondering. I heard that Space/time is Curved when it comes into contact with mass correct? If this is so, then would it be possible to calculate the volume(or some equation) for the curvature of space/time around my own mass or a mass larger then mine?

I have already calculated the Angle of Deflection of a proton around my body, is this necessary for my question or no?

Thank you so much

-Futago92

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, i do not know an equation that explains or tries to calculate the volume of a space-time manifold. but it could be an interesting work to try do. I mean you would have to know the density of the planet by knowing the gravitational field. just like throwing a ball into a water the water displacement - the water left is the density. You could try calculating the gravitational field influenced by the sun - the gravitational filed influenced by the planet then you could get your planets density supposedly...
OR
you could just use an object rotating round the planet and then equate the cyclotron frequency to the gravitational field. goodluck
and since your body's gravitational field is supposedly canceled because of the Earth's gravitational field it won't be of any use to calculate the angle of deflection of protons around your body cause it cant..WHY? well your mass or force produced by your weight is not significant enough.
I experimented curling a beam of photons into itself with intense magnetic field.

to do this I would have to know how much space curves when in contact with mass. or gravitational pull, I think. I was thinking of some parabolic equation maybe.

if you are looking for some real nasty parabolic equations well you could try looking up some of einsteins equations that prove the curvature of light from stars around massive objects..then you could get your angle of deflection and work your way up to the different angles
\mathrm{vol}_g = \sqrt{|\det g|}\,dx^0\wedge dx^1\wedge dx^2\wedge dx^3

you could look into the metric tensor of general relativity used in desciribing the volume of spacetime manifold but it is very messy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_tensor_(general_relativity)

haha thanks. I think I'll save this for a rainy day. :)

Related to Space Time Curvature Question.

1. What is space-time curvature?

Space-time curvature refers to the bending or warping of the fabric of space and time, caused by the presence of massive objects such as planets, stars, and galaxies. This curvature is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity and explains the effects of gravity.

2. How is space-time curvature measured?

Space-time curvature is measured using a mathematical tool called the Einstein field equations. These equations relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of mass and energy within it. Observations of the motion of objects in space can also provide evidence of space-time curvature.

3. Can space-time curvature be visualized?

While space-time curvature cannot be directly observed, it can be visualized using analogies. One common analogy is to imagine a rubber sheet being stretched and distorted by the weight of a heavy object. This represents how massive objects warp the fabric of space and time around them.

4. Does space-time curvature affect the speed of light?

Yes, space-time curvature affects the speed of light. According to general relativity, the path of light is also affected by the curvature of space-time. This means that light can be bent or slowed down by the presence of massive objects.

5. Can space-time curvature be manipulated?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate space-time curvature. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that it may be possible to manipulate space-time curvature by using extremely high energies or exotic matter. These ideas are still being explored and are not yet proven.