Space expansion vs. time speeding up

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time speeding up due to the expansion of space and the thinning out of matter. The speaker mentions being told by an astrophysicist about this idea and wondering if they are thinking about it correctly. They also bring up the idea of time being affected by both gravity and velocity. The question is asked if dark energy, which causes the accelerated expansion of the universe, also affects time. The conversation ends with a discussion of the complexity of field effects and how mass and velocity are related in terms of time.
miselaineeous
Hi! I've been reading these forums off and on for a year or so, and finally registered!

There have been other threads here on space expansion vs. time speeding up, but I have some questions that weren't addressed.

Background:

I was told by a notable astrophysicist, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, that since space is expanding, time might be speeding up on the whole. I believe this is due to matter being thinned out. I've also read compatible ideas about time "tending toward zero" if we rewind the clock to the early winks of the universe. This kind of thing begs more questions that it answers though.

BACKGROUND:

Can anyone tell me if I'm thinking about any of this the right way? Then I have a couple actual questions below.

Like everyone else, I don't understand what we can compare "time on the whole" to. But anyway, I see time as a "bumpy" complex pattern that reflects gravity and velocity, at every quantum of space. Space ticks away more slowly next to a massive object as compared to someone floating around in a near vacuum, etc, but I have to assume we don't draw the line at such extremes. What about a trillion watches next to a trillion slightly different sized specks of dust in interstellar space? In other words, isn't every quantum of space (or speck of matter?? How should I be thinking about this??) moving at it's own speed of time because it's sitting in an ever-so-slightly different gravitational "well"?

If I could somehow graph a snapshot of a "chunk of time" from my perspective on Earth at some specific time intervals on my watch, and maybe color every quantum of space a different color according to how fast or slow its time is ticking in relation to mine (similar to how we choose colors to graph the mandelbrot set), surely it would look a lot like the patterns of matter itself.

But time ALSO ticks more slowly for observers who are zooming through space as compared to someone sitting still. So wouldn't my colorful time-graph look even more complicated than simply reflecting mass at every point, since we have to take the velocity of matter into account as well?

Then again, if we were to graph the gravitational pattern of the universe over the same period of time, it would take motion into account too. So therefor my graph of time would look exactly like a graph of the gravity wells. Anyway, that was kind of a weird side note. I would welcome comments on that.

QUESTION: I've read that time "emerged" (sped up) after the big bang due to mass thinning out (like I mentioned above) and I've read that it is also due to the motion that started happening after the big bang (expansion due to inertia). Does the accelerated expansion (due to dark energy) also have an affect on time?

If dark energy has no effect on time, then I think I understand. That means expansion (sans dark energy acceleration) has little or no effect on time-changing anymore since it's pretty steady (and if anything, the inertia is "slowing down" if we subtracted the dark energy effect), so mostly just the thinning of matter is causing time to speed up.

If dark energy DOES have an affect on time, due to the faster velocities of galaxies speeding away from each other, then I'm confused. Doesn't faster velocity slow time down relative to slower velocity?

universal expansion = less mass/gravity (per inch) AND more velocity
less mass/gravity = faster time
more velocity = slower time

That seems contradictory.

Space news on Phys.org
Mass and velocity are unrelated save by gravitational redshift. But these are field effects, not classical physics [rulers and clocks]. Field effects are governed by higher order mathematics and quantum field theory. It is complicated. In Einstein's field equations you need energy momentum to make it work. Mass is not well behaved under this constraint.

Related to Space expansion vs. time speeding up

1. What is space expansion?

Space expansion refers to the idea that the universe is constantly expanding, with galaxies and other celestial objects moving further apart from one another over time. This expansion is believed to have started with the Big Bang and is currently accelerating.

2. How does space expansion relate to time speeding up?

The concept of time speeding up is related to the expansion of space in the sense that as the universe expands, the rate at which time passes also increases. This is due to the fact that the expansion of space affects the fabric of space-time, causing time to flow faster in areas with greater expansion.

3. What evidence do we have for space expansion and time speeding up?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea of space expansion and time speeding up. One of the most significant is the observation of redshift in distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us at increasing speeds. Additionally, measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies in the universe also support these concepts.

4. What does space expansion and time speeding up mean for the future of the universe?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of space and the acceleration of time will continue indefinitely. This means that the universe will continue to expand and the rate at which time passes will continue to increase, leading to a future where the universe is vast and relatively empty.

5. Can space expansion and time speeding up be stopped or reversed?

At this time, there is no evidence or known way to stop or reverse the expansion of space and the acceleration of time. These processes are believed to be fundamental aspects of the universe and are not controlled by any external forces. However, it is possible that future advancements in science and technology may lead to a better understanding of these phenomena and potentially find ways to manipulate them.