(Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl in powers of (v/c)^2

In summary: So what is Krel / Kcl ?In summary, the conversation discussed how to estimate the value of v/c for which the relative kinetic energy (Krel) differs from the classical kinetic energy (Kcl) by 10%. It was suggested to expand Krel and Kcl in powers of (v/c)^2 and equate them to find the value of v/c. The equation for Krel/Kcl was given as (y-1)(m0c^2)/(1/2)(m0c^2), and it was noted that Kcl can be rewritten as (1/2)mc^2(v/c)^2. By using the definition of percentage difference, the equation Krel = 11/
Kunhee

Homework Statement

[/B]
By expanding Krel / Kcl in powers of (v/c)^2, estimate the value of v/c for which Krel differs from Kcl by 10%.

Homework Equations

Kcl = classical Kinetic Energy = 1/2 m0 v^2
Krel = relative Kinetic Energy = (y-1) (m0 c)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a binomial expansion wherein x = (v/c)^2 and n = -1/2
The result is...
[1 - (v/c)^2]^(-1/2) = 1 + 1/2(v/c)^2
so If I plug this value into the Lorentz factor of Krel,
I can equate K rel to the Kcl equation.

But at which step of this expansion can I apply the 10% difference?
Do I need to set up an equation wherein Krel = 11/10 (Kcl)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
But at which step of this expansion can I apply the 10% difference?
You use, in addition to what you have done, the definition of "percentage difference".
What was your equation for Krel/Kcl ? (What were you exanding?)
Do I need to set up an equation wherein Krel = 11/10 (Kcl)?
Does that satisfy the definition?
Why not try it out and see what you get?

Hi Simon
Thanks for the help.

I think I am stuck at the expansion of K rel / K cl = (y-1) (m0 c^2) / (1/2)(m0 c^2)

Is there a website link or formula that can assist me with the expansion of the above equation in the power of (v/c)^2?

*and would it be okay for me to assume Kcl is (1/2)( m0 (v/c)^2 ) rather than with just c^2?

It's been solved. Thanks again.

Well done.
For the benifit of others stuck in the same way, how did you solve it?

Presumably younfigured out that Kcl = (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)mc^2 (v/c)^2

1. What is (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl in powers of (v/c)^2?

(Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl in powers of (v/c)^2 is a mathematical expression used to describe the effects of special relativity on the relationship between kinetic and potential energy. It helps us understand how the energy of an object changes as it moves at high speeds.

2. How is (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl calculated?

The formula for calculating (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl in powers of (v/c)^2 is (1/(1-v^2/c^2))^(1/2) - 1. This takes into account the velocity of the object (v) and the speed of light (c) to determine the amount of energy change.

3. What is the significance of (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl in powers of (v/c)^2?

(Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. It also plays a crucial role in various fields of physics, including particle accelerators and astrophysics.

4. How does (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl change at different velocities?

At lower velocities, (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl is close to 1, indicating that the changes in energy are not significant. As the velocity approaches the speed of light, (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl becomes increasingly large, showing that the energy changes are more significant at higher speeds.

5. Can (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, (Sp. Relativity) Krel / Kcl can be applied to everyday situations. For example, it can help explain why GPS satellites have to account for the effects of special relativity to accurately calculate time, or why particle accelerators need to take into consideration the changes in energy at high speeds.