South Delta Aquarid or Perseids?

• Thread starter pete5383
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, the south delta aquarid shower is expected to peak on July 28th, while the Perseids are said to be better seen on August 12th at 11:00 PM. However, the sky chart on Heavens-Above can tell you if the moon will be a problem for your observation.
pete5383
Hey everyone. First off, I'm not very knowledgeable on astronomy, so forgive me if I say something that sounds dumb (I found this board because I'm an electrical engineer).

So I've heard that there is a meteor shower, south delta aquarid shower, that is going to peak in a week or so (July 28th I think), and I've also heard there's a better shower, Perseids, peaking on August 13th. I'd like to spend the night watching one of these showers, and I was wondering which would be the better to see? Someone told me that Perseids won't be as good because of the moon interference. Anyone have any advice on which will be the better show? Also, will the Perseids be good at like 11:00 PM (Central Time) on August 12th, or is the peak pretty narrow?

Also, this next question might be a little in depth, because I know almost no astronomy lingo, but is there any way to tell where in the sky the moon will be at a specific time (so I could tell how much interference there will be)? I guess I really don't even know what units are used to measure where something is in the sky (radians away from something, degree...something else I've never heard of)

Anyways, I guess what I really need to know is, if I can only see one shower, should it be the peak of south delta aquarids, or August 12th at 11:00 PM to see the Perseids? Thank you all very much, love the forum.

(Also, to the moderators, sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it as you please)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Anyone have any advice for me? This astronomy business is tough...haha...

I have always heard that the Perseids is the most visible meteor shower and I have enjoyed it very much in past years. But you are right that a bright moon may be an impediment. I have no better advice than to suggest you to take a look at:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

where you can display the sky-chart for your position at any day of the year. There you will see if the moon can be a problem for your observations.

Last edited:
Thanks hellfire, that site helps out a lot, exactly what I was looking. Thanks again

Related to South Delta Aquarid or Perseids?

1. What are the South Delta Aquarids and Perseids?

The South Delta Aquarids and Perseids are two meteor showers that occur annually in the summer months. They are caused by debris left behind by the comets 96P/Machholz and 109P/Swift-Tuttle, respectively.

2. When can I see the South Delta Aquarids and Perseids?

The South Delta Aquarids are active from mid-July to mid-August, with peak activity occurring around July 28th. The Perseids are active from late July to late August, with peak activity occurring around August 12th.

3. Where is the best place to view the South Delta Aquarids and Perseids?

Both meteor showers can be seen from the entire Southern Hemisphere and parts of the Northern Hemisphere. The best place to view them is in a dark, rural area away from city lights.

4. How many meteors can I expect to see during the South Delta Aquarids and Perseids?

The South Delta Aquarids typically produce 10-20 meteors per hour during peak activity, while the Perseids can produce 50-100 meteors per hour during peak activity.

5. Is there any special equipment needed to view the South Delta Aquarids and Perseids?

No special equipment is needed to view the South Delta Aquarids and Perseids. They can be seen with the naked eye, but using a telescope or binoculars can enhance the viewing experience.