Source of practice problems for algebra/analysis prelims

In summary, the person is preparing for a math department qualifying exam that covers analysis and linear algebra. They have past papers but are looking for additional sources for similar difficulty problems. One suggestion is to check math department websites for past qualifying exams, as there is likely an unlimited supply available online. Another suggestion is a book called "The Advanced Calculus Problem Solver," which contains a lot of worked out problems but may be more advanced than what the person is currently studying. It is not clear if this book covers linear algebra.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Hello all. I am preparing to take my math department's preliminary qualifying exam for pure math. It covers analysis and linear algebra. I have a good number of past papers but I was wondering if there is a good source, maybe a book or a website, for problems of similar difficulty.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
On a lot of math department websites, you can find lots of past analysis and algebra qualifying exams. So, distributed across the internet, I would suspect there is an almost unlimited supply.

thrill3rnit3 said:
Hello all. I am preparing to take my math department's preliminary qualifying exam for pure math. It covers analysis and linear algebra. I have a good number of past papers but I was wondering if there is a good source, maybe a book or a website, for problems of similar difficulty.

Thanks.

I don't know if this helps, but when I was in Calc III I bought (found in a bookstore) "The Advanced Calculus Problem Solver," from REA. I didn't know that "Advanced Calculus" meant analysis. It looks like it's a great source, though I'm not ready for it just yet.

Don't know if that's helpful but I thought I should mention it. It is a thick book with a ton of worked out problems.

Don't know about Linear algebra though...

-Dave K

Related to Source of practice problems for algebra/analysis prelims

1. Where can I find practice problems for algebra/analysis prelims?

There are several sources where you can find practice problems for algebra/analysis prelims. These include textbooks, online resources, and past exam papers. You can also ask your professors or colleagues for recommended practice materials.

2. How many practice problems should I do to prepare for my algebra/analysis prelims?

The number of practice problems you should do depends on your individual needs and study habits. It is recommended to start with a moderate amount and gradually increase as needed. It is important to focus on understanding the concepts rather than just completing a certain number of problems.

3. Are there any specific topics I should focus on when practicing for algebra/analysis prelims?

Yes, it is important to focus on the topics that are typically covered in the exam. These may include algebraic equations, functions, inequalities, sequences and series, limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also beneficial to review any previous topics that you may have struggled with.

4. Can I find practice problems with solutions included?

Yes, many practice problem resources offer solutions or answer keys for the problems. This can be helpful in understanding the steps and thought process needed to solve the problems. If you are unable to find solutions, you can always ask your professor or a tutor for assistance.

5. How often should I practice for my algebra/analysis prelims?

It is recommended to practice regularly, at least a few times a week, leading up to the exam. This will help you stay familiar with the material and identify any areas that may need more attention. It is also important to take breaks and rest to avoid burnout.