Source of Gravitational Energy

In summary: So in summary, according to Einstein's theory, the energy in the gravitational field comes from the potential energy that it imparts on objects.
poverlord
I have been thinking a bit about gravity in the classical Newtonian sense. So we know that the gravitational potential energy is inversely proportial to the distance that an object is from the object it is being attracted to. Thus if we form spheres of equal distance from a certain object we can assign to each sphere a total energy proportional to its distance from the object because we will be essentially multiplying a function of order 1/r with one of order r^2. This means that the potential energy on a sphere increases as one reaches infinity. It is obvious then that the gravitational field has a nearly infinite supply of potential energy. My question is, where does all this energy come from? Does Einstein's theory account for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi poverlord! welcome to pf! :smile:

you're confusing gravitational potential with gravitational potential energy :wink:

gravitational potential (GP) is potential energy (PE) per charge

ie if a charge of q is at a GP of 1/r, then its PE is q/r

you're suggesting that the total GP for a sphere of area 4πr2 would be 4πr2 times 1/r, = 4πr, which -> to ∞ as r -> ∞

but that sort-of assumes you have an infinite charge distributed over the whole sphere! :wink:

Thanks for the reply. If I understood you correctly, you mean that in order for there to be energy on a sphere, we need to have charges on that sphere otherwise we will have nothing to speak of. I guess there must be some confusion somewhere. What I actually meant by this is that if we consider the gravitational field itself and try to measure its energy. I think that this energy within the gravitational field itself is measured by the potential energy that it imparts on the object that is placed at a certain distance from the object generating that field. Of course, the gravitational field must have energy since it has the capacity to move stuff about. And we know that its capacity to move things about can be fully measured by the potential energy it imparts on an object. This is how I concluded that the energy on a "sphere" increases as the sphere becomes larger. Thus you should not interpret the word "sphere" as referring to a real sphere but to a spherical slice of the gravitational field itself and the amount of energy that sphere can impart on particles that can be present upon it.

poverlord said:
… if we consider the gravitational field itself and try to measure its energy. I think that this energy within the gravitational field itself is measured by the potential energy that it imparts on the object that is placed at a certain distance from the object generating that field.

no, just as the energy density of the electric field E is proportional to the field squared (force-per-charge squared, E2), so the (Newtonian) energy density of the gravitational field can be defined as proportional to the field squared (force-per-mass squared) …

in other words: the energy density of the gravitational field is proportional to 1/r4, whose integral over all space is finite! :wink:

(for some details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_energy#Newtonian_mechanics")

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the clarification.

Related to Source of Gravitational Energy

1. What is the source of gravitational energy?

The source of gravitational energy is the mass of an object. All objects with mass have gravitational energy, which is the potential energy stored in their gravitational fields.

2. How is gravitational energy created?

Gravitational energy is created when objects with mass are moved or positioned in a gravitational field. This can occur through actions such as lifting an object or moving it closer or further away from another object with mass.

3. Can gravitational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when objects with mass are in motion. This is the principle behind activities such as roller coasters and falling objects.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect gravitational energy?

The closer two objects with mass are, the stronger their gravitational attraction and the greater the gravitational energy between them. As the distance between them increases, the gravitational energy decreases.

5. Can gravitational energy be harnessed for practical use?

Currently, there are no practical ways to harness gravitational energy on a large scale. However, scientists are researching potential methods such as using the gravitational pull of celestial bodies to generate electricity.