Source free RLC series circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem in which the switch has been in the A position for a long time and the capacitor is fully charged. The initial conditions are given and the values for A, B, x, and y are determined. The conversation also mentions that no current flows in the initial condition, and if this is the case, the values for A, di/dt, and B would change.
wcjy
Homework Statement
Given the following circuit with the source voltage V1=60(V). The switch in the following circuit has been connected to A for a long time and is switched to B at t=0. The current i(t) through the capacitor C for t>0 has the following expression:

$$i(t) = Ae^{xt} + Be^{yt}$$
Relevant Equations
$$α = \frac{R}{2L}$$
$$ω_o = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}$$
$$ S_{1,2} = - α +- \sqrt{ α^2 - w_o^2}$$
Hello, this is my working. My professor did not give any answer key, and thus can I check if I approach the question correctly, and also check if my answer is correct at the same time.

for t < 0,
V(0-) = V(0+) = 60V
I(0) = 60 / 50 = 1.2A

When t > 0,
$$α = \frac{R}{2L}$$
$$α = \frac{30}{2(10)}$$
$$α = 1.5 $$

$$ω_o = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}$$
$$ω_o = \frac{1}{\sqrt{10*50*10^{-3}}}$$
$$ω_o = \sqrt{2}$$

$$ S_{1,2} = - α +- \sqrt{ α^2 - w_o^2}$$
$$ S_{1,2} = - 1.5 +- \sqrt{ 1.5^2 - \sqrt{2}^2}$$
$$ S_{1,2} = -1.5 +- j0.5$$

$$i(t) = e^{-1.5t}[Acos(0.5t) + Bsin(0.5t)]$$
When t = 0, i = 1.2
$$ A = 1.2$$

when t = 0
$$L\frac{di}{dt} + Ri + V= 0$$
$$\frac{di}{dt} =-\frac{1}{L} (Ri + V)$$
$$\frac{di}{dt} = -\frac{1}{10} ((50)\frac{6}{5} + 60)$$
$$\frac{di}{dt} = -\frac{1}{10} ((50)\frac{6}{5} + 60)$$
$$\frac{di}{dt} = -12$$

when t = 0
$$\frac{di}{dt} = -1.5[ e^{1.5t} [ Acos(0.5t) + Bsin(0.5t)]] + 0.5e^{-1.5t}[-Asin(0.5t)+Bcos(0.5t)]$$
$$-12 = -1.5A + 0.5B$$
$$ B = -20.4$$

Therefore
A = 1.2
B = -20.4
x = 1.5
y = 1.5

Attachments

• 1615636663356.png
    1615636663356.png
    104 KB · Views: 104
Physics news on Phys.org
The statement says the switch has been in in the A position for a long time (the capacitor id "fully" charged). No current flows in the "initial" condition.

oh so if I(0) = 0,
A = 0
di/dt = -6
B = -12
the rest remains the same?

1. What is a source free RLC series circuit?

A source free RLC series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series without an external power source. This means that the circuit does not have a voltage or current source, and all the energy in the circuit is stored in the inductor and capacitor.

2. How does a source free RLC series circuit behave?

A source free RLC series circuit behaves as an oscillating system, where the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor is continuously exchanged back and forth. The circuit will exhibit a natural frequency of oscillation, which is determined by the values of R, L, and C. The behavior of the circuit can also be affected by the initial conditions, such as the initial charge on the capacitor.

3. What is the equation for the natural frequency of a source free RLC series circuit?

The equation for the natural frequency (ω) of a source free RLC series circuit is ω = 1/√(LC), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads. This equation shows that the natural frequency is inversely proportional to the square root of the product of inductance and capacitance. This means that increasing either L or C will decrease the natural frequency, and vice versa.

4. How does the damping affect a source free RLC series circuit?

The damping in a source free RLC series circuit is determined by the resistance (R) in the circuit. A higher resistance will result in a higher damping, which means the oscillations will decay faster and the circuit will reach a steady state more quickly. On the other hand, a lower resistance will result in a lower damping, which means the oscillations will take longer to decay and the circuit will take longer to reach a steady state.

5. What is the significance of a source free RLC series circuit in real-life applications?

Source free RLC series circuits have many practical applications, such as in electronic filters, oscillators, and resonant circuits. They are also used in power systems to control voltage and current levels. In addition, the behavior of source free RLC series circuits is important in understanding the response of circuits to sudden changes in voltage or current, which can occur in power systems due to lightning strikes or switching events.