Soundwave Intensities and power

In summary, the intensity of the sound at a distance of 185m from the point source is 7.91*10^-5 W/m^2 and the power intercepted by the microphone with an area of 0.510 cm2 is 1.71*10^-6 W. The flaw in the equation for calculating power is using the wrong area for the microphone, which should be 4∏R^2 instead of just R^2.
chelsea123

Homework Statement

1. Question : A point source emits 34.0 W of sound isotropically. A small microphone intercepts the sound in an area of 0.510 cm2, 185 m from the source. What is the sound intensity at that distance?
What is the power intercepted by the distance?

Homework Equations

I=P/a,P=IA

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i have gotten the intensity as I=P/A,
I=340W/(5.10*10^-3)+4pi(185)^2
I=7.91*10^-5 W/m^2

However for the second part of the question to calculate power, it is not correct. I use P=IA
with the same area but it will not work properly:
P=(7.91*10^-5W/m^2)(5.10*10^-3m2 + 4pi(185m)^2
P=34.0 W (which is incorrect)

Where is the flaw in this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part,

I_atmic = P/A where P and R are given in the problem, and A = 4∏R^2

For the second part P_atmic = [I_atmic]a = Pa/A where a is the area of the mic.

Related to Soundwave Intensities and power

1. What is the difference between soundwave intensity and soundwave power?

Soundwave intensity refers to the amount of energy that passes through a specific area per unit time, while soundwave power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted from one form to another. In simpler terms, intensity is the strength of the soundwave, while power is the amount of energy it carries.

2. How is soundwave intensity measured?

Soundwave intensity is typically measured in decibels (dB) using a sound level meter. This device measures the pressure of soundwaves and converts it into a logarithmic scale, making it easier to compare different intensities. The higher the decibel level, the greater the soundwave intensity.

3. What factors affect soundwave intensity and power?

The intensity and power of a soundwave can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the sound source, the size and shape of the sound source, and the medium through which the sound travels. Other factors include the frequency and amplitude of the soundwave, as well as any obstructions or reflections in the environment.

4. How does soundwave intensity impact human hearing?

Exposure to high levels of soundwave intensity can damage the delicate structures of the inner ear and cause hearing loss. The intensity of a soundwave is directly related to its volume, and prolonged exposure to loud noises can lead to permanent damage. It is important to protect your ears from excessive soundwave intensity, especially in loud environments or when using headphones or earbuds.

5. Can soundwave intensity be used for medical purposes?

Yes, soundwave intensity is commonly used in medical procedures such as ultrasound imaging and lithotripsy (breaking up kidney stones). In these cases, the intensity of the soundwaves is carefully controlled and adjusted for specific purposes, such as imaging soft tissues or breaking up hard materials. Ultrasound therapy, which uses soundwave intensity to promote healing and tissue regeneration, is also a common medical application of soundwaves.