Sound Waves Conceptual Question

In summary, sound waves are mechanical waves that carry energy through a medium, such as air. They are created by vibrations and can be heard when they reach a certain frequency and amplitude. The speed of sound in a medium depends on its density and elasticity. The frequency of a sound wave determines its pitch, with higher frequencies producing higher pitches. Sound waves differ from electromagnetic waves in that they require a medium to travel through and consist of vibrating particles. The amplitude of a sound wave directly affects its loudness, with higher amplitudes resulting in louder sounds.
ca2010
1. You are standing some distance from a jackhammer where the sound intensity is bearable. You then walk half the distance toward the jackhammer. The change in sound level is about:

The given answer is 6dB.

I am not sure if this problem requires knowing what intensity "bearable" is. I know that I=I0(r0/r)2 so the intensity should increase fourfold. However I am not sure how to arrive at 6dB

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Sound Waves Conceptual Question

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that propagates through a medium, such as air, and carries energy from one location to another. They are created by vibrations or oscillations of objects, and can be heard by our ears when they reach a certain frequency and amplitude.

2. How do sound waves travel through different mediums?

Sound waves travel through different mediums by causing the particles of the medium to vibrate back and forth in the direction of the wave's propagation. The speed of sound in a medium depends on the density and elasticity of the medium, which determines how fast the particles can vibrate.

3. How does the frequency of a sound wave affect its pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly proportional to its pitch. This means that the higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound. For example, a sound wave with a frequency of 1000 Hz will have a higher pitch than a sound wave with a frequency of 500 Hz.

4. What is the difference between sound waves and electromagnetic waves?

The main difference between sound waves and electromagnetic waves is that sound waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Additionally, sound waves are mechanical waves that require particles to vibrate in order to propagate, while electromagnetic waves are transverse waves that consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does the amplitude of a sound wave affect its loudness?

The amplitude of a sound wave is directly proportional to its loudness. This means that the higher the amplitude, the louder the sound. For example, if you increase the amplitude of a sound wave by doubling it, the sound will be twice as loud to our ears.