Sound wave no idea how to do it

In summary, a thin, taut string oscillating in its third harmonic can be described by the equation y(x,t) = 5.60cm (sin[(0.0340 rad/cm)x]sin[(50.0 rad/s)t]). The standing wave pattern can be visualized as two identical traveling waves moving in opposite directions with an amplitude of 2.8 cm. The length of the string is (3/2) times the wavelength, which is 1.85 m. The wavelength, frequency, period, and speed of the traveling waves are all the same as the standing wave, with a speed of 22.13 m/s. For the eighth harmonic, the equation y(x,t) = (5.
pat666

Homework Statement

(a) A thin, taut string tied at both ends and oscillating in its third harmonic has its shape
described by the equation
y(x,t) = 5.60cm (sin[(0.0340 rad/cm)x]sin[(50.0 rad/s)t]),
where the origin is at the left end of the string, the x-axis is along the string and the
y-axis is perpendicular to the string.
(i) Draw a sketch that shows the standing wave pattern. (3 marks)
(ii) Find the amplitude of the two traveling waves that make up this standing wave.
(2 marks)
(iii) What is the length of the string? (2 marks)
(iv) Find the wavelength, frequency, period, and speed of the traveling waves. (4 marks)
(v) Find the maximum transverse speed of a point on the string. (2 marks)
(vi)What would be the equation y(x,t) for this string if it were vibrating in its eighth
harmonic? (3 marks)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the only thing i can think to do with this is stick the whole thing in my 89 and do it like that??

Physics news on Phys.org
pat666 said:

Homework Statement

(a) A thin, taut string tied at both ends and oscillating in its third harmonic has its shape
described by the equation
y(x,t) = 5.60cm (sin[(0.0340 rad/cm)x]sin[(50.0 rad/s)t]),
where the origin is at the left end of the string, the x-axis is along the string and the
y-axis is perpendicular to the string.
(i) Draw a sketch that shows the standing wave pattern. (3 marks)
(ii) Find the amplitude of the two traveling waves that make up this standing wave.
(2 marks)
(iii) What is the length of the string? (2 marks)
(iv) Find the wavelength, frequency, period, and speed of the traveling waves. (4 marks)
(v) Find the maximum transverse speed of a point on the string. (2 marks)
(vi)What would be the equation y(x,t) for this string if it were vibrating in its eighth
harmonic? (3 marks)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the only thing i can think to do with this is stick the whole thing in my 89 and do it like that??

I recognise the exam is tommorow so here is what I got from another source.

Solution:
Visualize: What does the third harmonic mode look like ?
y(x,t) = (5.60cm) sin [(0.0340 rad/cm)x] sin [(50.0 rad/s)t]
Compare with standing wave expression
y = 2A sin kx sin ωt
λ3
L
(a) Recall that a standing wave is the sum of two identical traveling waves moving opposite each other. At the anti-nodes, the two waves constructively interfere into a standing wave with an amplitude twice the original amplitude of either traveling wave (we showed this in class!) . In fact,
y (for standing wave) = 2A sin kx sin ωt
Thus, by comparison to the given equation, 2A = 5.6 cm so A = 2.8 cm
(b) From the picture you should note that λ3 = 2L/3 or L = (3/2) λ3
Or you can always get this from the expression for fundamental modes: f3 = 3(v/2L) = v/λ3.
But the wavenumber k gives 2π/λ and examination of the expression above gives k = 0.034 rad/cm = 3.4/m so that λ = 2π/k = 2π/(3.4/m) = 1.85 m. Thus L = (3/2) λ3 = 2.78 m
(c) The wavelength of traveling waves is the same as the standing wave: λ = 1.85 m
(d) The frequency and period of the traveling waves is the same as the standing wave.
Comparison of the sin ωt term with the given expression gives
ω = 50 rad/s or f = ω/2π = 7.96 Hz.
and T = 1/f = 0.1256 sec
(e) The speed of the traveling wave is given by v = λf = (2.78 m)(7.96Hz) = 22.13 m/s
(f) Maximum transverse speed of a point on the string can be found by taking dy/dt and maximixing this.
dy/dt = (5.60 cm)(50 rad/s) sin [(0.0340rad/cm)x] [cos (50 rad/s)t]. The maximum values of sin and cos is 1 so the maximum dy/dt must be (5.6 cm)(50 rad/s) = 280 rad/

cool thanks. how close to the actual exam do you reckon the practice test actually is??

From what I have seen in the maths 11218 exam I would think very close

ya that math exam was close to the practice and fricken easy

hi in the solution you provided they have listed

(e) The speed of the traveling wave is given by v = λf = (2.78 m)(7.96Hz) = 22.13 m/s

is this correct? it seems to me the wavelength λ = 2pi/k or 2pi/3.4m = 1.85m thus v=1.85m * 7.96Hz = 14.70m/s

comments?

edit: also for question
harmonic? (3 marks)

-I get amplitude remains the same
k is = 2pi/lamda
new k needs new lamda
remember 8th harmonic, lamda = 2L/n with same string length
lamda = 2*2.775m/8
= 0.69375
k= 2pi/0.69375
= 9.05684rad/m
/100
0.0905rad/cm

since we now have a new lamda we must have a new frequency and we know that wave speed is the same as it is a property of the string and so f=v/lamda f=14.7/0.69375 = 21.1892Hz
so new frequency is 21.2Hz which is 21.2*2pi = 133.136rad/s

so new formula is

y(x,t) = (5.60CM) sin [(0.0905 rad/cm)x] sin [(133rad/s)t]

sound about right?
ps thanks for doing a fair bit of the question asking this semester pat666 ;)

Last edited:

is this correct? it seems to me the wavelength λ = 2pi/k or 2pi/3.4m = 1.85m thus v=1.85m * 7.96Hz = 14.70m/s

comments?

Thanks! you are right, didn't notice the mistake.

i finally get how to do this f********* question, its not actually that hard once you see what's going on. thanks for all the help!

Related to Sound wave no idea how to do it

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of longitudinal mechanical wave that is created by vibrations in a medium, such as air or water. These vibrations cause particles in the medium to compress and expand, producing a wave that travels through the medium and can be detected by our ears as sound.

2. How is sound wave produced?

Sound waves are produced when an object vibrates, causing the particles in the surrounding medium to vibrate as well. These vibrations create a disturbance in the medium, which travels outward in the form of a sound wave.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound wave?

The speed of sound wave is affected by the type of medium it travels through, the temperature of the medium, and the density of the medium. Generally, sound travels faster in denser and hotter mediums, such as solids, compared to less dense and colder mediums, such as gases.

4. How is sound wave different from light wave?

Sound waves and light waves are both types of waves, but they have different properties and behaviors. Sound waves require a medium to travel through, while light waves can travel through a vacuum. Sound waves are also longitudinal waves, while light waves are transverse waves. Additionally, sound waves have a lower frequency and longer wavelength compared to light waves.

5. How do we measure sound wave?

Sound waves are measured in terms of frequency, amplitude, and wavelength. Frequency is the number of vibrations or cycles per second and is measured in Hertz (Hz). Amplitude is the maximum displacement of particles in the medium and is measured in decibels (dB). Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a sound wave and is measured in meters (m).