Sound Travel Time Calculation for Distant Listeners

In summary, the question is asking who will hear the voice of a singer first: a person in the balcony 50m away from the stage or a person 3000km away at home next to a radio. The speed of sound is dependent on the temperature, but the speed of light is much faster. The equation to calculate the speed of sound is 332 + 0.6T, where T is the temperature in degrees celsius.
wikidrox
First here is the question:

Who will hear the voice of a singer first? A person in the balcony 50m away from the stage, or a person 3000km away at home whose ear is next to the radio? How much sooner? Assume the mic is a few cm from the singer and the temperature is 20 degrees celcius.

Now I was able to calculate how long it would take for the person 50 m away to hear it, but I don't know how to find out how long it will take for the second person to hear it. Please help me. Which equation do it use?

Physics news on Phys.org
The radio signal travels at the speed of light. I take it you are to assume that the singer's lips are close enough to the microphone and the hearer's ear is close enough to the radio that you can ignore those. The temperature is relevant to the speed of sound but not the speed of light.

Shoot! I think I did it wrong. What would the speed of sound be at 20 degrees? I just thought the speed of sound would be the same as the speed of light. I guess I was wrong.

wikidrox said, "I just thought the speed of sound would be the same as the speed of light."

Not quite. Light travels about a million times faster than sound!

Speed of Sound = 332 + 0.6T

T = temperature in degrees celsius.

Related to Sound Travel Time Calculation for Distant Listeners

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that are created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and can travel through a vacuum.

2. What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. They also have the ability to travel at the speed of light and can travel through various materials.

3. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in communication technologies like radio, television, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging, cooking, and heating.

4. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

When electromagnetic waves encounter matter, they can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The type of interaction depends on the properties of the material and the frequency of the waves.

5. What is the relationship between electromagnetic waves and light?

Light is a type of electromagnetic wave that can be detected by the human eye. It is just one small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, which also includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.