Sound made by Euler's disk toys

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Sound
In summary, the clatter of the disk is caused by the periodic motion of the mirror, and the chopping sound is caused by the helicopter's rotational motion.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
There are lots of videos on youtube etc showing Euler's disks. Why do we hear that periodic clattering sound? If it's a uniform rolling motion we would expect a smoother sort of whirring sound. (Like a monocycle running along a tight circle, maybe). What determines the frequency of the clatter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Why do we hear that periodic clattering sound?
Sounds like the clatter of the mirror wobbling on an uneven table surface.

Could it be that the velocity cycle is elliptical, not circular?

I guess one would have to first eliminate 2m4r35n357 's possibility of the base (usually a mirror) not resting firmly on the table.

Assuming that part is ok, then a non-circular motion might explain it. But anorlunda, by elliptical, do you mean like a wheel rolling along an ellipse on the ground instead of rolling along a circle? What would cause the wheel to turn more sharply at the ends of the ellipse, and less sharply in the 'middle' of the ellipse? Could it be the shape of the mirror, mimicking a gravitational force?

Somehow, the sound gives the impression of larger forces at work than what the very slight curvature of the mirror would suggest.

I wonder if it is just position (of the listener) dependent? IOW, the sound is constant (like the rolling wheel example above), but since the disk is changing its "face" relative to the listener, the listener is hearing the sound change as the "face" changes.

Ever see the rotating horn on a Leslie™ Speaker (mostly used on Hammond organs, to provide a complex vibrato/tremolo/comb-filter effect)? You get a sort of whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop sound out, with a static tone applied. A little like the sound of a Euler disk, especially if you input a filtered noise sound that the disk or rolling wheel is probably making.

If you plugged one ear, and placed your other ear (or better, a microphone) directly above the axis of the spinning disk, would the sound be more constant? I wouldn't expect the variation to go away completely, you will get reflections from the room. Try it in an an-echoic chamber! :)

If I remember correctly, the chop-chop of a helicopter is also something to do with where you're listening from.

OK, I just watched a couple videos to refresh my memory. I think my earlier post explains some of it, but I do hear more 'clattering', usually near the end. My guess is that at that point, the disk is not just rotating/wobbling constantly. I think it might actually be 'jumping' up, to release air underneath, and the 'falling' down and banging against the mirror, and this repeats.

Ahhh, just saw your note on helicopters - yes, I think that is a similar effect. We should expect just a constant whirring sound as they rotate at a constant speed, but we hear the chopping sound.

Related to Sound made by Euler's disk toys

1. What is the science behind the sound made by Euler's disk toys?

The sound made by Euler's disk toys is caused by a phenomenon called gyroscopic precession. When the disk is spun, it creates a spinning motion that is perpendicular to its axis of rotation. This causes the disk to wobble, creating vibrations that produce sound waves.

2. Why does the sound change in pitch and volume as the disk spins?

The pitch and volume of the sound produced by Euler's disk toys change as the disk spins because the rate of the spinning motion affects the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves. As the disk slows down, the pitch and volume of the sound decrease.

3. Can the sound made by Euler's disk toys be used as a musical instrument?

While the sound produced by Euler's disk toys can be pleasing to the ear, it is not typically used as a musical instrument. The sound is difficult to control and does not produce distinct notes like traditional musical instruments.

4. Is the sound made by Euler's disk toys affected by the surface it is placed on?

Yes, the surface on which Euler's disk toy is placed can affect the sound produced. Smooth, hard surfaces tend to produce louder and longer-lasting sounds, while softer or uneven surfaces can dampen the sound.

5. Can the sound made by Euler's disk toys be used for scientific research?

While the sound produced by Euler's disk toys is a result of scientific principles, it is not typically used for scientific research. However, the toy itself can be used as a demonstration for various scientific concepts, such as angular momentum and gyroscopic precession.