Sound Interference on a speaker

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of dead spots in bass sound when walking away from a mobile speaker. The speaker in question has 4 tiny speakers and two transducers facing opposite ways. The cause of the dead spots is theorized to be due to the rear passive radiator bouncing off the wall and being out of phase with the front passive radiator. This phenomenon only affects the bass frequencies and can potentially be canceled out by placing another speaker next to it. The distances between the dead spots are compared to the wavelength of bass notes and the dimensions of the room, and the concept of standing waves is introduced as a potential explanation for the phenomenon.
Willjeezy
I had a physics course a few years back that touched on constructive and destructive waves and only today did i notice this phenomenon with my speakers. I was curious about the theory behind this particular scenario in my room.

I have one of those mobile speakers, a bose soundlink II. It has 4 tiny speakers and two transducers facing the opposite way (see photo)

5EnUH6M.jpg

Now i notice as I walk backwards away from the speaker, i can actually audibly hear dead spots in the bass. I measured the distance between two dead spots and found it to be (350cm - 290cm = 60cm).

Why do I get dead spots at certain distances? Is it because the rear passive radiator bounces off the wall behind it and is out of phase with the front passive radiator? and why is it only the bass? If I bought the exact same mobile speaker and put it side by side is it possible i could cancel out the treble at certain distances?

Science news on Phys.org
So, how do the distances given compare to the wavelength of bass notes and the overall dimensions of the room?

Use the clue given you by insightful and look into the nature of standing waves. They will exist both inside and outside the enclosure and even on the surface of the transducers though it takes a laser doppler interferometer to "see" them.

Related to Sound Interference on a speaker

1. What is sound interference on a speaker?

Sound interference on a speaker occurs when two or more sound waves meet and combine, resulting in a distorted or muffled sound from the speaker.

2. What causes sound interference on a speaker?

Sound interference on a speaker is caused by the intersection of two or more sound waves that are out of phase. This can happen when multiple speakers are playing the same sound or when sound waves from external sources, such as traffic or other electronic devices, interfere with the speaker's sound waves.

3. How can I prevent sound interference on my speaker?

To prevent sound interference on your speaker, make sure to keep it away from other speakers or electronic devices that may emit sound waves. You can also adjust the positioning of your speaker or use sound absorption materials to reduce the impact of external sound waves.

4. What are the effects of sound interference on a speaker?

The effects of sound interference on a speaker can vary, but commonly include distorted or muffled sound, loss of clarity, and reduced volume. In extreme cases, sound interference can damage the speaker's components and affect its overall performance.

5. Can sound interference be fixed on a speaker?

In most cases, sound interference can be fixed by identifying and eliminating the source of the interference. This can be done by adjusting the positioning of the speaker, using sound absorption materials, or using a sound isolation device. However, if the interference is due to internal speaker issues, it may require professional repair.