Sound Intensity Peak: Find Time Between Peaks

In summary, the problem involves two wheels spinning at different RPMs, producing a sound that increases and decreases periodically due to wave interference. The question asks for the time between successive peaks in sound intensity. To find this, the beat frequency (difference between the two frequencies) must first be calculated. The beat frequency is then used to find the time period between successive peaks, which is equal to 1 divided by the beat frequency. The units of frequency must also be considered when solving the problem.
woaini

Homework Statement

One wheel goes at 850 rpm and the other at 780 rpm, and obviously they make a noise. Standing in an enclosed room, you hear the sound intensity increase and then decrease periodically due to wave interference. How long does it take between successive times for the sound intensity to reach a peak?

f1= 850
f2= 780
Vs =343 m/s

Homework Equations

λ=Vs/f

The Attempt at a Solution

343/850=0.40
343/780=0.44

So how do I find a peak? Does it have something to do with constructive interference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

What do you mean yes... What method would I use to find the peak between successive times?

I mean yes it's to do with constructive interference.

If you were to draw two sin waves to scale you would find they would go in and out of sync due to the difference in frequency. A peak on one won't always coincide with the peak of the other. When it does the result will sound louder. It's easy to see this when the frequencies are a multiple of each other...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/beat.html

Is there an equation to combine the two frequencies?

See that link I posted..

The beat frequency is equal to the absolute value of the difference in frequency of the two waves

but note the question askes for a time not a frequency.

So am I suppose to find the beat frequency of the two waves then determine the time?

E.g. 850-780=70RPM

T=1/f = 0.014s

Or do I have to convert the RPM to Hz and then find time?

70RPM=1.167Hz

T=0.856898s

Last edited:
What do you think? What are the units of Frequency? Work out the two frequencies first.

I guess frequency then. Why would I need to workout the two frequencies first? Wouldn't finding the difference and converting be faster?

You could do that but the thing to remember is that the beat frequency is the difference between the two frequencies. Other problems may not make any reference to rpm.

So in summary.. They produce two tones, one at 14.17Hz and 13Hz. The beat frequency is the difference or 14.17-13 = 1.17Hz (Which is the answer you got). The time period between successive peaks in sound intensity is therefore 1/1.17 = 0.85seconds.

Likes 1 person

Related to Sound Intensity Peak: Find Time Between Peaks

1. What is sound intensity peak and how is it measured?

Sound intensity peak is the maximum amplitude or loudness of a sound wave. It is measured in decibels (dB) using a sound level meter.

2. How is the time between peaks calculated?

The time between peaks is calculated by dividing the period of the sound wave by the number of peaks. The period can be found by dividing the wavelength by the speed of sound in the medium.

3. How does sound intensity peak affect our perception of sound?

Higher sound intensity peaks correspond to louder sounds, which can cause discomfort or damage to our ears. Our perception of sound is also affected by the frequency and duration of the sound wave.

4. Can sound intensity peak be used to measure the distance of a sound source?

No, sound intensity peak is not a reliable method for measuring distance. It only indicates the loudness of a sound, not the distance it traveled.

5. How can sound intensity peak be used in practical applications?

Sound intensity peak is often used in noise control and measurement, as well as in audio recording and engineering. It can also be used to measure the intensity of sound in specific environments, such as in medical settings or in industrial workplaces.