Sound intensity level of a jet

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between sound intensity and power, and how to calculate the intensity at a different altitude using the formula P=IA. The question asks for the intensity level at an altitude of 1000 feet, given the intensity level at 5000 feet and the change in altitude. The formula for power is mentioned, but the origin and definition of radius is also brought up for clarification.
phytitan

Homework Statement

A jet traveling overhead at an altitude of 5000 feet produces a sound intensity level of 80 dB. What would the figure be for an eight of 1000 feet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the intensity of the sound wave at a certain distance from the source, then you can find the power of the source. Do you remember the equation that relates the power to intensity? This is a good place to start.

Last edited:
I have the intensity of the source and I would calculate the power with the formula P=I*A but I don't have the radius I just have a difference in the two radii. But it's an equation with two unknowns the actual radius and the power.

r1=x at 5000 feet altitude
r2=x + 4000 at 1000 feet altitude

how can I calculate the intensity at 1000 feet?

So we have the formula for power, P=IA. What is A in this formula? And when you say radius, with respect to what origin are you referring to? Radius is the distance from where to where?

The sound intensity level of a jet is dependent on several factors such as the distance from the source, the altitude of the jet, and the power of the jet's engines. As the altitude decreases, the sound intensity level also decreases due to the sound waves being spread out over a larger area. Therefore, at an altitude of 1000 feet, the sound intensity level of the jet would likely be lower than 80 dB. However, without knowing the specific details of the jet and its surroundings, it is difficult to accurately determine the exact sound intensity level at an altitude of 1000 feet. Further analysis and measurements would be needed to make a more precise estimate.

Related to Sound intensity level of a jet

What is sound intensity level?

Sound intensity level, also known as sound pressure level, is a measure of the loudness of a sound. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is a logarithmic scale that compares the pressure of a sound wave to a reference pressure.

How is sound intensity level of a jet measured?

The sound intensity level of a jet is typically measured using a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure level at a specific location and converts it to a decibel reading. The distance from the jet, the direction of the sound, and other factors can also affect the measurement.

What is the typical sound intensity level of a jet?

The sound intensity level of a jet can vary depending on the type of jet, its distance from the measurement location, and the environment it is in. On average, a commercial jet taking off can have a sound intensity level of around 130 dB, while a military jet can reach levels of 150 dB or higher.

What factors can affect the sound intensity level of a jet?

The sound intensity level of a jet can be affected by various factors such as the type of jet, its distance from the measurement location, the angle and direction of the sound, and the surrounding environment. The weather, temperature, and humidity can also play a role in the sound intensity level.

How does the sound intensity level of a jet impact the environment and human health?

The sound intensity level of a jet can have negative impacts on the environment and human health. It can cause noise pollution, which can disrupt wildlife and affect human activities. Prolonged exposure to high sound intensity levels can also lead to hearing loss, stress, and other health issues.