Sound Intensity & Distance Relationship

I understand now.In summary, the conversation discusses how sound intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source, meaning that the further away from the source you are, the less intense the sound will be. Using the given information of 20 watts per square meter at 8 meters, it is determined that the sound intensity at 4 meters would be 10 watts per square meter. The conversation also explores the use of the inverse-square law of radiation to calculate the intensity at different distances from the source.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
4. Sound intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source
The further from the source you are, the less intense the sound.
Suppose the sound intensity is 20 watts per square meter. (W/m^2) at 8 meters.
What is the sound intensity at 4 meters?

$y=\frac{k}{x}$ So. $s=\frac{k}{{d}^{2}}$

$8=\frac{k}{20}$ then $k=160$

$s=\frac{160}{{4}^{2}}=10 W/m^2$

I wasn't sure how this was all pluged in?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let the intensity $I$ be measured in units of \(\displaystyle \frac{\text{W}}{\text{m}^2}\), where we are given the inverse-square law of radiation (which works with any kind of energy propagated in 3-space, at least for classical mechanics):

\(\displaystyle I(r)=\frac{k}{r^2}\)

where $k$ is a constant of proportionality, and $r$ is the distance from the source. We are given:

\(\displaystyle I(8)=20=\frac{k}{8^2}\implies k=1280\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle I(r)=\frac{1280}{r^2}\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle I(4)=\frac{1280}{4^2}=80\)

We should expect that if we divide our distance from the source by some factor $0<a$, then the intensity will change by a factor of $a^2$, since:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\dfrac{k}{\left(\dfrac{r}{a}\right)^2}}{\dfrac{k}{r^2}}=a^2\)

I should have seen that..
Mahalo

Related to Sound Intensity & Distance Relationship

1. What is the relationship between sound intensity and distance?

The relationship between sound intensity and distance is described by the inverse square law. This law states that as distance from the sound source increases, the intensity of the sound decreases by the square of the distance. In other words, if you double the distance from the sound source, the sound intensity will decrease by a factor of four.

2. How does sound intensity affect our perception of loudness?

Sound intensity is directly related to the perceived loudness of a sound. As the intensity of a sound increases, it will be perceived as louder. However, our perception of loudness is also influenced by other factors such as the frequency and duration of the sound.

3. Can sound intensity be measured?

Yes, sound intensity can be measured using a device called a sound level meter. This device measures the pressure of sound waves in decibels (dB). The higher the decibel reading, the higher the sound intensity.

4. What are some factors that can affect the relationship between sound intensity and distance?

Some factors that can affect the relationship between sound intensity and distance include the medium through which the sound is traveling, the presence of obstacles or barriers, and the shape and size of the sound source.

5. How is sound intensity related to the energy of a sound wave?

The intensity of a sound wave is directly proportional to the energy of the sound wave. This means that a higher sound intensity corresponds to a higher energy sound wave. This relationship is important in understanding the potential effects of loud sounds on our ears and other objects in the environment.