Sound Intensity and sound proofing

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of sound intensity in a recording studio, where the room is 36.2 dB quieter than the outside. The speaker is having trouble finding the correct answer and is seeking suggestions for their calculations.
shaka23h
A recording engineer works in a soundproofed room that is 36.2 dB quieter than the outside. If the sound intensity in the room is 2.45 x 10-10 W/m2, what is the intensity outside?

It seems so ez yet I'm getting the wrong answer

ok so here is what I am able to do

the difference of 36.2dB is

I set 36.2dB to 10 log I/I0

and divide through by 10 on both sides so I get

log 10 ^ 3.52 = log I/I0

I get that I0 = 1x 10^-12 so

10^-12 x 10 ^3.62 would give me a I = 10 x -8.38 Is this the intensity difference? so when I add this value to my given value of inside the room I should get the value outside the room? But when I did this I got eh wrong answer.

Thanks for all ur help

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have any suggestions?

You have a typo in one place where you have 3.52 instead of 3.62, but in your calculation you have 3.62 so that is not your problem. Your problem is that the reference intensity in this problem is not the threshold of human hearing. The reference in this problem is the known intensity at one place and you are trying to find the intensity at another place where the dB difference between the two places is known.

Related to Sound Intensity and sound proofing

What is sound intensity and how is it measured?

Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is typically measured using a sound level meter.

What factors affect sound intensity?

Several factors can affect sound intensity, including the distance from the sound source, the size and shape of the room, and the materials in the room. The intensity of sound also decreases as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or solids.

How does sound proofing work?

Sound proofing is the process of reducing or blocking the transmission of sound from one space to another. This is typically achieved by using materials that absorb or reflect sound waves, such as acoustic foam, mass-loaded vinyl, or soundproof curtains. These materials help to reduce the intensity of sound by absorbing or redirecting the sound waves.

What are some common misconceptions about sound proofing?

One common misconception is that sound proofing can completely eliminate all noise. In reality, sound proofing can only reduce the intensity of sound and cannot completely block all noise. Another misconception is that sound proofing materials are only effective for blocking high-frequency sounds, when in fact they can also be effective for low-frequency sounds.

Are there any health risks associated with high sound intensity?

Yes, exposure to high sound intensity can lead to hearing damage and other health issues. Prolonged exposure to sounds above 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss. It is important to protect your ears and limit exposure to loud sounds, especially in occupational settings or at concerts or events.