Sound frequency dissapate's, By how much?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with a project related to sound waves and their diminishing over distance. They are wondering about the impact of frequency and distance on sound waves and if the frequency changes as it travels. The forum members explain that the frequency does not change unless the emitter and receiver are in motion, and the power of the sound diminishes with distance following an inverse square law. They also offer resources for further learning about acoustics.
Kahlenda
Hi there, I am currently got a little project in my head, and though I am good at science i don't know enough physics to work this solution out and i was hoping someone would be able to help.

Now i know sound wave diminish over time, but by how much and how fast,

here my problem if i was to emit a sound from a location at so many cycles a second, 0 hertz, 50 hertz, 1000 hertz whatever, how quickly in respect to distance and fequeny could i expect that sound to dissapate over say 50 meters. and would the frequency have changed in that fifty meters.

so say i emitted a sound at (for the sake of easyness) 1 hertz to an reciever (ear/mic whatever) 50 meters away would the sound still be at 1 hertz when it reached the reciever?

Physics news on Phys.org
The frequency will not change unless the emitter and receiver are in relative motion. Think about it: the emitter is generating so many cycles a second; if the receiver hears less than that number per second, where are the other cycles going? They must be building up in the gap in between.

The power loss with distance, in a 3-d medium, is an inverse square law. As each wave front spreads out, the area it has to cover grows as the square of the distance.
If confined in a tube, the loss will be only what's absorbed by the tube. That probably makes the power vary with distance as a negative exponential.

To be clear, the decay is with distance, not time. On a day when the speed of sound in the air is a bit lower, it will still decay the same amount for the same distance, thought it take longer to get there.

Kahlenda, Welcome to Physics Forums. Here is a place where some members are higly educated, some are highly experienced, and some, both. Everyone here is ready and willing to assist with your progress in learning science.

Acoustic engineers study sound in High school physics, then in College physics, and then in their work they continually study and learn more during their whole working career. You seem to be at the beginning of the process. Welcome!

haruspex has answered your questions: emitted frequencies will not change over distance, and the sound power level (intensity) does drop off with the square of the distance. In air or water sound waves are said to radiate outward by "spherical spreading"...imagine a sphere of pressure waves expanding in all directions.

Just like any area of science you need to build a good "foundation" of the basics. I suggest you visit this Wiki page, study it completely, and then check out interesting references near the bottom of the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustics

Enjoy, Bobbywhy

Related to Sound frequency dissapate's, By how much?

What is sound frequency dissipation?

Sound frequency dissipation is the process by which sound waves lose energy and decrease in amplitude as they travel through a medium.

How does sound frequency dissipation occur?

Sound frequency dissipation occurs when sound waves interact with particles in the medium they are traveling through. These interactions cause the particles to vibrate and absorb some of the energy of the sound waves, resulting in a decrease in amplitude.

What factors affect the amount of sound frequency dissipation?

The amount of sound frequency dissipation is affected by several factors, including the type of medium the sound is traveling through, the temperature of the medium, and the distance the sound has traveled.

Is there a limit to how much sound frequency can dissipate?

Yes, there is a limit to how much sound frequency can dissipate. The amount of dissipation depends on the properties of the medium and the intensity of the sound waves, but eventually, the sound will dissipate to the point where it is no longer detectable.

Can sound frequency dissipation be prevented?

In most cases, sound frequency dissipation cannot be prevented. However, certain materials and structures can be designed to minimize the amount of dissipation, allowing sound to travel further without losing as much energy.