How does the female mind work ?

In summary: I think this is true for both males and females. There are also certain things we are taught about the opposite sex and our sex. For instance... men are "supposed" to be strong and women are "supposed" to be weak, men are "supposed" to be logical and women are "supposed" to be illogical, men are "supposed" to be independent and women are "supposed" to be dependent, etc. I think there is quite a bit of pressure to conform to these gender roles (especially when you are a child), and i think that can affect how we think and behave to some extent. To give you an example
Originally posted by drag
Ooh...
Why become females ? What's in a birth control pill ?

Birth control pills have oestrogen and other female hormones to control the mentruation cycle. Oestrogen is more powerfull than testosterone and will make a guy into a female. The transformation of male into female is observed in the great lake. I remember seing a video about it, the researchers could not tell if the male was in fact a male. It also explain why fish population have problem in the great lakes

Engineering news on Phys.org
ACTUALLY, BCPs are increasingly containing less estrogen and more progesterone, which will not turn anyone into a female, so I wouldn't worry about that problem.
~As per the "female mind" question: look at the crap we have to deal with: "we are all going to turn into females due to birth control pills, oh no!" , and "hormone fluctuations affect women's personalities, oh no!"
I want a guy who won't ask me these lame questions, that's all I ask!
as a side note, there IS such thing as male "PMS", males do have marked hormone fluctuations that affect their personalities as much as female hormone fluctuations affect the female personality ( I don't think the personality is affected, but irritability is increased, which limits how much crap we can take from anyone, making us appear less "nice").

A more mind boggling questio would be, "who understands the MALE psyche"?

I cannot comment on how the female mind works. I'm still trying to figure mine out.

I do agree that men also have there fits, be it related to hormones or not, there is definately a change of attitude, probably more frequent then once a month.

Most women I've know are quite manipulative. All the ones that aren't are normally married/engaged and so that leaves a person such as myself trying to find his way through a bunch of gold diggers and control freaks.

I'd have to agree that it probably works much like a man's mind.

I remember my first comment to this on pf2:

"It does work?"

yeah, I think the reality is that people's minds work the same way. Both men and women often end up with mates or whatever that are "greedy and manipulative", because they don't measure up to the other's ideals.

that is precisely what i meant when i said that "there are more similarities than there are differences."

any other thoughts and questions?

<curious about other people's input

Greetings Entropia !
Originally posted by Entropia
Yeah... :wink:
How come females can get "weirded out" easily
sometimes due to the "littlest of things" ?

Is this not the case for human females in general
relative to the males ?

Could it be that the "littlest of things" for
males are not that little for females (though
the subjectivity of such "things" seemingly
indicates that that's not the case)?

Live long and prosper.

you little...

<giggles>

ok people, this is the context behind drag's comment... i got weirded out yesterday in some other post in which drag makes a reference to what he thought was my age during a particular year.

i got weirded out because, well.. i hate telling people my age and birthdate, so it is something i avoid.

i have issues with revealing my age because it has always put me in some sort of heirarchy, or have been treated less favorably because so (i tend to be the "younger" person in social circles...) in short, i experienced very similar things to what majin vegeta experiences...

but its not that bad for me these days cos i am not an early or mid teen anymore.

and so, for like.. some dude on pf to make a comment about my age really weirded me out cos i have no recollection of ever making any reference to my age on pf.

i hope that sheds some light on your question drag.

Greetings Entropia !
you little...

Hey, my post was quite clear, you didn't have to
write the above explanation. :wink:
some dude on pf
:frown: ( )

Anyway, to adress the subject itself - so your
point is that "the littlest things" are in fact
small culminations of bigger issues ?

An interesting though possibly irrelevant note:
When males "snap", it ussualy means aggression.
It rarely means surprise or wonder. Maybe the
males are more resiliant to such sudden bursts
of emotion because they like to stay in control
and do not like displaying potential weakness.
Only when it's something like agression do such
bursts make potential positive sense for the male.
Females, on the other hand, are less competative
and thus can express their emotions with lesser
concern of them being viewed or used as a weakness.
Also, this may be the reason for the greater
general distraction of females as opposed to males
(not to mention physical capabilities).

Comments are welcome.

Live long and prosper.

Why are females more sensitive and less driven than males?

Maybe it's all relative. Women seem less driven then males when you compare them to males?

Originally posted by plus

less testastorone, more estrogen...

Women.. I have spent years researching this, and in depth testing and evaluation. here are my results...

Ok now that that's out of the way, let me just say that women aren't logical, they think with their emotions before anything else many times. Now before the women jump on me, let me say that there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule, this is the case in ANY human equation.
I've known very logical women, and I've also known women who were not only intelligent and "one of the guys" but very attractive as well, so there goes that theory!

If a woman asks you if she's fat, she doesn't want to hear the truth, she wants you to lie to her. She's seeking positive reinforcement, as it's known in psychological circles. Yes gentlemen, you've ventured beyond physics to an even more perplexing topic.. Psychiatry. Entropia was right about one thing.. Women crave attention, and to feel good. So making them laugh and feel good about themselves is the right move. I have to say that so far I'm kinda disappointed by the women posting here, since I've heard a lot of generalizations women that are half-truths and twisted. I can cite examples if challenged.

So I offer up my experience to you. You have a specific question about women. Ask me=) I'll try to impart experinces to the group.

Originally posted by Zantra
Women.. I have spent years researching this, and in depth testing and evaluation. here are my results..

Wow, thanks!

Ok now that that's out of the way, let me just say that women aren't logical, they think with their emotions before anything else many times.

This is different than aggressive male behavior that isn't fueled by logic, how? Many more men are involved in physical confrontations than women, IMO, primarily due to the (perceived) female ability to reason and talk things out. Could it be that both genders are, at times, rendered incapable of thinking clearly because they are overwhelmed by emotion? This is more of a human folly (or strength, depending on context.)

Now before the women jump on me, let me say that there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule, this is the case in ANY human equation.
I've known very logical women, and I've also known women who were not only intelligent and "one of the guys" but very attractive as well, so there goes that theory!

Unfortunately the stereotype that scientific men are ugly and socially maladjusted still remains.

If a woman asks you if she's fat, she doesn't want to hear the truth, she wants you to lie to her. She's seeking positive reinforcement, as it's known in psychological circles.

The counter-argument for this is the same - how are men different? I can think of a few different questions that might be posed which are similar but not verbatim which demonstrate that men also like having their ego stroked.

Entropia was right about one thing.. Women crave attention, and to feel good. So making them laugh and feel good about themselves is the right move.

Again, this same behavior can be found in men, as well as children and most domesticated animals. I wouldn't consider this groundbreaking knowledge.

"A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him." -Brendan Francis

If we were to assume the quote above is true, how would you go about proving the differences between men and women? It seems that you could switch 'man' and 'woman' in the sentence and people would still say "That's so true!"

I have to say that so far I'm kinda disappointed by the women posting here, since I've heard a lot of generalizations women that are half-truths and twisted. I can cite examples if challenged.

I can't say that I've been extremely impressed by the posts here, but to say that you are disappointed by the *women* who have posted is kind of curious.

While I acknowledge the differences between women and men - primarily those that are backed up by hard science (i.e. women having larger corpus callosum's, different brain activity, more language centers, differences in hormones etc.) and how they relate to societal and evolutionary constructs - I think it's unfair to apply different standards for discourse on a discussion board. Gender should not be a factor when judging the substance of a reply. Thoughtfulness, insight, and merit should be more important.

BTW, please do cite specific references.

So I offer up my experience to you. You have a specific question about women. Ask me=) I'll try to impart experinces to the group.

No offense, but that's like asking Bill O'Reilly about the war instead of Tommy Franks.

edit: typos

Originally posted by Galatea
Wow, thanks!

My quest still continues. I'm tireless in my efforts;)

This is different than aggressive male behavior that isn't fueled by logic, how? Many more men are involved in physical confrontations than women, IMO, primarily due to the (perceived) female ability to reason and talk things out. Could it be that both genders are, at times, rendered incapable of thinking clearly because they are overwhelmed by emotion? This is more of a human folly (or strength, depending on context.)

Well here you are pointing out the similarities between men and women, and totally missing the topic of my post. You're taking up an arugment that someone else started, except with the wrong person. I'm not saying men and women don't have similarities. The question was explain how women work. But to address your point, Men do tend to think in different ways than women. For instance, a recent study finds that a test to see how men and women remember directions finds that men will search out landmarks to establish location and bearing, while women will trace a step by step route to find their way. One isn't better than the other, it's just highlighting the differences in the way men and women think.
Unfortunately the stereotype that scientific men are ugly and socially maladjusted still remains.

Ok now you're just bitter;) That's an opinion, not a fact. And it's a generalization.

The counter-argument for this is the same - how are men different? I can think of a few different questions that might be posed which are similar but not verbatim which demonstrate that men also like having their ego stroked.

I was just using that as an example. I hear that a lot from guys: that women ask these irrational questions to which they already know the answer but are seeking approval. I was just providing the reason, and I said nothing about men being different. Again you're trying to twist this and put words in my mouth. I never implied or said anything of the sort. Let's move forward.

Again, this same behavior can be found in men, as well as children and most domesticated animals. I wouldn't consider this groundbreaking knowledge.

Basically this whole post you've made simply attacks my statements with irrelevant arguments about statements that I did not make about the differences betweeen men and women.

"A man is already halfway in love with any woman who listens to him." -Brendan Francis

If we were to assume the quote above is true, how would you go about proving the differences between men and women? It seems that you could switch 'man' and 'woman' in the sentence and people would still say "That's so true!"

That quote simply highlights the egotism of women. It doesn't help your argument. I'm simply presenting facts, not trying to be esoteric.

I can't say that I've been extremely impressed by the posts here, but to say that you are disappointed by the *women* who have posted is kind of curious.

While I acknowledge the differences between women and men - primarily those that are backed up by hard science (i.e. women having larger corpus callosum's, different brain activity, more language centers, differences in hormones etc.) and how they relate to societal and evolutionary constructs - I think it's unfair to apply different standards for discourse on a discussion board. Gender should not be a factor when judging the substance of a reply. Thoughtfulness, insight, and merit should be more important.

BTW, please do cite specific references.

Ok since you're trying to paint me as a chauvanist, let me say that the reason I made the statement about being disappointed in the women, is that the women are essentially the moderators of this topic. Men are asking the questions. I was simply saying that I was hoping for a more definitive response from the girls. And you can't say that gender is a factor, since gender is the ONLY factor in this topic.

To give one example, YOU. The topic of this discussion is how women think. Not how men and women are different. And certainly now how one gender is better than the other, but that seems to be the direction you're trying so hard to steer us in. Let's stay on track shall we?

No offense, but that's like asking Bill O'Reilly about the war instead of Tommy Franks.

Bold statement coming from someone who knows virtually nothing about me. I don't claim to be all knowledgeable about women. I just have known quite a few women, and so I was offering to share the little I have learned. DO you have anything to contribute other than insults?

Last edited:
The female mind works?

No, but seriously, like the male mind with a monthly chemical cycle.

<curious about other people's input

Ya I do. Since you don't seem to have issues with it anymore, and since the topic was brought up it peaked my curiosity. How old are you?;) Educated guess being early 20's based on what you said. Reason I ask is because you hit a nerve with me. I used to have a younger friend who worried about the same things as you, and she was very intelligent. Moreso than many of my older friends. I always treated her as an equal regardless of her age, because I believe in credit where credit is due. Personally I think that age is less of a factor on these forums because people only know you by how you portray yourself. They can't see the physical so things like age become less of a factor. Of course people will always be people and prejudge you anyways, but that's the nature of humans;)

As for other questions, why does today's average woman have a double standard of expecting the old fashioned treatment when it comes to being treated like a lady? They having everything paid for and doors opened for them, yet still wants to be seen equally? Now, I'm all for equality as far as women go, and it's not in dispute that women deserve equal pay, and that they are as smart and capable as men. But if this is the case, then they forfeit some of the rights such as being taken care of, having doors opened for them, or having dinner paid for by a man. I'm of course referring specifically to the "independent woman" who doesn't "need a man because she can do it herself". Then the question arises, why do I need to pay for dinner then? Let's go dutch;) I know this is a generalization, but it's one I've seemed to encounter a lot in women. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
i personally don't have any of those double standards (as far as I am aware of at least. i mean, i was raised in a gendered and heterosexist society after all... so i am still confined to my gender role in some ways, whether i am aware of it or not).

this time about a year ago i went on a dinner date with somebody who, ummm... wanted to open doors and seat me by pulling my chair and then tucking me in my chair up to the dinner table. now, i don't mind people holding or opening doors for me with intentions of common courtesy, i do the same for whomever... but the last time anybody wanted to seat me like that, i must have been 3 or 4. i mean, i didnt get offended per se, it just made me kind of giggle inside and sort of weirded me out. -so i did the same thing chair tucking thing to him later on that evening. i suspect that may have weirded him out too.

i just find things like having to walk all the way around the car to open my door, tuck me in my chair, always having to open the door for me etc. as inefficient for the person having to do it... i mean, i am able bodied enough to do those tasks.

and concerning who pays what... i have a history of going dutch. but then when the relationship has progressed, either we go dutch, or i pay, or the other person pays... all depending on mood and the amount of money we have in our wallets.

i don't know many women that maintain those double standards that you mention. I am not doubting that they exist though.

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I can't say I've ever taken it to that extreme of pulling out chairs. I may open a door or two, but that's just common courtesy. I just seem to have hit upon a certain "subset" of college-aged women who have their own jobs, live at home, thus not having many bills to pay, and then expect the man to pay for everything. Then they expect you to pay for everything, buy them expensive gifts, and lavish them in luxury. I'm referring of course to "gold diggers". And you just "KNOW" that if you were to actually agree to marry them, you're butt would be at work each day chained to a desk while they drive around with the girls in the BMW she bought with your money, with no responsibilities. Now not every woman is like that, but there are still those holdouts who expect everything to be handed to them. Watch out for them guys. they're out there and they have one hand on the toilet to flush the BC they "claim" they're taking, and the other on your wallet. BEWARE! Heheh. I've never had that experience, but I've had it happen to friends, and had that attempted on me. Very shameless. If you're not careful they could one day be sitting on your couch eating bon bons and watching Oprah;)

But I digress...

In any relationship there is a dominant and a recessive personality.
But I think most women in any serious relationship want to believe they have "control" of the man. The key to sucess is mutual ignorance. She has be fooled into believing she controls him, and he has to be fooled into thinking she doesn't;)

Originally posted by Zantra
The key to sucess is mutual ignorance. She has be fooled into believing she controls him, and he has to be fooled into thinking she doesn't;)
Good one...:wink:

Oh c'mon now girls. Don't tell me none of you has any response to that post. I know I didn't leave you speechless?:wink: This was just starting to get good

i personally don't have any of those double standards (as far as I am aware of at least. i mean, i was raised in a gendered and heterosexist society after all... so i am still confined to my gender role in some ways, whether i am aware of it or not).

this time about a year ago i went on a dinner date with somebody who, ummm... wanted to open doors and seat me by pulling my chair and then tucking me in my chair up to the dinner table. now, i don't mind people holding or opening doors for me with intentions of common courtesy, i do the same for whomever... but the last time anybody wanted to seat me like that, i must have been 3 or 4. i mean, i didnt get offended per se, it just made me kind of giggle inside and sort of weirded me out. -so i did the same thing chair tucking thing to him later on that evening. i suspect that may have weirded him out too.

i just find things like having to walk all the way around the car to open my door, tuck me in my chair, always having to open the door for me etc. as inefficient for the person having to do it... i mean, i am able bodied enough to do those tasks.

and concerning who pays what... i have a history of going dutch. but then when the relationship has progressed, either we go dutch, or i pay, or the other person pays... all depending on mood and the amount of money we have in our wallets.

i don't know many women that maintain those double standards that you mention. I am not doubting that they exist though.

Hey I noticed you skillfully dodged the age question. You're not supposed to be senstive to it till you hit 30:wink: Be proud of your age. You'll appreciate it more the first time someone calls you m'am.

Last edited:
first some one should never care about their age no matter what gender.allso now this may seem a bit off topic and all but I am just stating something from a bit of my resurch. i have founf that more wars have been started since women have been alowed into government(no offnce)now this may seem a bit off topic and all but I am just stating something from a bit of my resurch. i have found that more wars have been started since women have been alowed into government(no offnce)

Women are Evil, simple as that .

<h2>1. What are the main differences between the male and female brain?</h2><p>The main differences between the male and female brain lie in the structure and function of certain areas. For example, the hippocampus, which is responsible for memory and emotion, tends to be larger in females. Additionally, the corpus callosum, which connects the two hemispheres of the brain, tends to be thicker in females, allowing for greater communication between the two sides of the brain.</p><h2>2. How do hormones affect the female brain?</h2><p>Hormones play a crucial role in the functioning of the female brain. Estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone all have different effects on brain structure and function. For example, estrogen has been linked to increased activity in the areas of the brain responsible for emotion and social cognition, while progesterone has been linked to changes in mood and memory.</p><h2>3. Are there any specific cognitive abilities that are unique to the female brain?</h2><p>While there are some differences in brain structure and function between males and females, there is no evidence to suggest that one gender has unique cognitive abilities. Both males and females have the potential to excel in various cognitive tasks, and any differences that do exist are likely due to individual variation rather than gender.</p><h2>4. How does the female brain change throughout the lifespan?</h2><p>The female brain undergoes many changes throughout the lifespan, just like the male brain. During puberty, there is a surge in hormone production, which can affect brain development and behavior. As women age, there are also changes in brain structure and function, particularly in areas related to memory and decision-making.</p><h2>5. Can the female brain be influenced by external factors?</h2><p>Yes, the female brain can be influenced by external factors such as environment, experiences, and social expectations. These external factors can shape brain development and function, leading to differences in behavior and cognitive abilities. However, it is important to note that the brain is also highly adaptable and can change in response to new experiences and learning throughout life.</p>

1. What are the main differences between the male and female brain?

The main differences between the male and female brain lie in the structure and function of certain areas. For example, the hippocampus, which is responsible for memory and emotion, tends to be larger in females. Additionally, the corpus callosum, which connects the two hemispheres of the brain, tends to be thicker in females, allowing for greater communication between the two sides of the brain.

2. How do hormones affect the female brain?

Hormones play a crucial role in the functioning of the female brain. Estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone all have different effects on brain structure and function. For example, estrogen has been linked to increased activity in the areas of the brain responsible for emotion and social cognition, while progesterone has been linked to changes in mood and memory.

3. Are there any specific cognitive abilities that are unique to the female brain?

While there are some differences in brain structure and function between males and females, there is no evidence to suggest that one gender has unique cognitive abilities. Both males and females have the potential to excel in various cognitive tasks, and any differences that do exist are likely due to individual variation rather than gender.

4. How does the female brain change throughout the lifespan?

The female brain undergoes many changes throughout the lifespan, just like the male brain. During puberty, there is a surge in hormone production, which can affect brain development and behavior. As women age, there are also changes in brain structure and function, particularly in areas related to memory and decision-making.

5. Can the female brain be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the female brain can be influenced by external factors such as environment, experiences, and social expectations. These external factors can shape brain development and function, leading to differences in behavior and cognitive abilities. However, it is important to note that the brain is also highly adaptable and can change in response to new experiences and learning throughout life.