Something Fun I Stumbled Across

• B
  • Thread starter Thinkaholic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x) and its derivative, as well as its intersection with the line y=x. The function is restricted to the positive real numbers. The value of the function at infinity is 1, and the derivative at (φ,φ) is 1. The conversation also mentions the use of L'Hospital's Rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus. The conversation concludes with a reminder to use LaTeX for posting equations.
Thinkaholic
Hi! I know all of you might know what I'm about to post, but I just discovered it for myself, and I want to share my enthusiasm.
Let
gif.gif

and
gif.gif
(here, I'll be restricting the domain of f(x) to the positive real numbers.)
Here is a graph of the two, with f(x) in blue and F(x) in black:

upload_2018-5-9_19-1-12.png

1st question: Where does f(x) intersect with the line y=x?

you could write
gif.gif

squaring both sides of the equation, multiplying both sides by x-1, and subtracting x from both sides gives
gif.gif

Factoring x from the LHS and dividing both sides by x leaves you with
gif.gif

This is the minimal polynomial for the golden ratio, or φ, and the minimal polynomial for -φ^-1, or -Φ. This means that the quadratic above has two solutions at φ and -Φ. -Φ cannot be the solution we are looking for, as, as stated above, I am only dealing with f(x) within the domain of the positive real numbers (positive x values only). So, the intersection of f(x) and y=x is at (φ,φ)!

Question 2: What is the value of
gif.gif
?

Using L'Hospital's Rule, we obtain that
gif.gif

calling the limit as x approaches infinity of f(x) "L", then this becomes
gif.gif

and obviously L=1. So
gif.gif

Question 3: What is the derivative of f(x) at (φ,φ)?

If we take the derivative of f(x), plug in φ for x, and make sure to remember that φ-1=Φ and that φ^-1=Φ, we simplify:

gif.gif
Question 4 (finale): What is
gif.gif
?
From the fundamental theorem of calculus

gif.gif

So we could rewrite this as:

gif.gif
Hope I made no typos! Sorry if this is too long, but I want to share these interesting facts with y'all. Also, hopefully the type doesn't mess up, I used rendered LaTeX and pasted the images here. Also, the prefix is beginner, as most of the calculus stuff is taught in high school, but I really don't know what this is, so sorry if that is wrong.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-9_19-1-12.png
    upload_2018-5-9_19-1-12.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 396
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    560 bytes · Views: 721
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 629
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    423 bytes · Views: 409
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    351 bytes · Views: 400
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    323 bytes · Views: 396
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    467 bytes · Views: 399
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 393
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    248 bytes · Views: 398
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    520 bytes · Views: 406
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 397
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    623 bytes · Views: 390
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 393
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Edits: Stupid typos I made. Fixed.

When I "restricted the domain of f to the postitve real numbers" instead of differentiating the f(x) I gave at first, I differentiated the square root of x divided by the square root of x-1. That way the domain of the function and its derivative is restricted to the positive real numbers, and that is why you may have obtained a different answer for the derivative because you used the chain rule on the f(x) I gave, which differentiated f(x) with respect to all values of x.

Related to Something Fun I Stumbled Across

What is "Something Fun I Stumbled Across"?

"Something Fun I Stumbled Across" is a phrase often used to describe a random or unexpected discovery or activity that brings joy or amusement. It can refer to anything from a funny meme on the internet to an exciting new hobby.

How do people typically stumble across "Something Fun"?

"Something Fun" can be stumbled upon in various ways. Some people may come across it while browsing the internet, scrolling through social media, or trying out new activities with friends. Others may discover it through word of mouth or by chance encounters.

Why is it important to have "Something Fun" in our lives?

Having "Something Fun" in our lives can bring a sense of joy, happiness, and relaxation. It can serve as a stress reliever and help us take a break from our daily routines. It can also encourage creativity and lead to new experiences and perspectives.

What are some examples of "Something Fun I Stumbled Across"?

Examples of "Something Fun" can vary greatly and depend on personal interests and preferences. It can include funny videos, entertaining games, exciting new recipes, or even a new workout routine. It can also be something as simple as a beautiful sunset or a cute animal video.

How can scientists incorporate "Something Fun" into their work?

Scientists can incorporate "Something Fun" into their work by taking breaks to engage in activities that bring them joy and relaxation. This can help improve focus, creativity, and overall well-being. Scientists can also find ways to integrate fun elements into their research or work, such as gamification or creative brainstorming sessions.