Something brought up in class.

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of functions and the conditions for which it would exist. The concept of image and kernel is also mentioned, along with the importance of asking questions for learning. The use of * as a symbol for composition is questioned and it is suggested to check with the teacher for clarification. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of inverse functions.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I should have mentionned it, but I rather think about it first.

Suppose f:A->B and g:B->C

then g*f:A->C

That makes sense.

Then they talked about f*g!

Is this possible? Think about it. If f has domain A, and g has range C, than how can f(x) equal anything, since the range of C is not equal to set A, which is what we need to calculate f.

f*g:B->?

I hope you understand.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
no that definitely doesn't make sense. i think you're right, but you also shouldn't rock the boat. just do whatever it takes to get through the course.

how can f(x) equal anything, since the range of C is not equal to set A, which is what we need to calculate f.

That's not quite true; all we need is for x to be in A.

Although f*g certainly will not exist in general, can you come up with conditions for which it would?

edit: I'm assuming you're using the * symbol to mean composition

Last edited:
well one needs to define upper star. for instance the usual definition of upper star is "precede by" so f*g would actually mean gof which is defined as above.

no that definitely doesn't make sense. i think you're right, but you also shouldn't rock the boat. just do whatever it takes to get through the course.

IMHO this is, in general, terrible advice. Asking questions is how you learn things (and sometimes can help other people learn things, because they were too shy to ask a question). The bar is so low that just "doing what it takes" will certainly harm your chances in future math classes in which you're expected to know this stuff learned in this class.

There are two ways to write composition of functions, check which one your teacher uses. writing f*g to mean g composed with f is very common especially amongst logicians, who see it as more logical, and some applied people who read only read left to right.

In algebra the composition leads to the concept of image and kernel. If f: A -> B, then f(a) is the image of A in B under f; the set of points in B that are images of points in A under the function f. And in algebra we have a zero element (group identity or whatever). Kernel f is the set of points in A that are mapped into the zero or identity element of B.

I'm wondering if this wasn't supposed to be about the inverse functions.

If f:A->B and g:B->C then g*f:A->C.

If f and g are both invertible, then so is g*f and (g*f)-1= f-1*g-1:C->A.

I meant * as a composition.

I will ask to make sure.

Related to Something brought up in class.

What is the significance of the topic discussed in class?

The topic discussed in class is significant because it is relevant to the subject matter and can provide a deeper understanding of the subject.

How does this relate to real-world applications?

This topic can be applied to real-world situations, providing practical knowledge and skills that can be used in various industries and fields of study.

Can you provide more examples or case studies related to this topic?

Yes, additional examples and case studies can be provided to further illustrate and reinforce the concepts discussed in class.

What are the potential implications or consequences of this topic?

The potential implications or consequences of this topic can vary depending on the context, but it is important to consider the ethical, social, and environmental impacts of applying this knowledge.

Are there any current research or developments related to this topic?

There may be ongoing research and developments in this field, and it is crucial to stay updated on new findings and advancements to gain a comprehensive understanding of this topic.