Some simple chemical reaction help

In summary, the first equation is a synthesis reaction that forms hypochlorous acid (HClO) and the second equation is a combustion reaction that produces carbon dioxide and water.
msimard8
Here is my first question.

Cl2O + H2O ------->

I am pretty sure this is a synthesis reaction becasue it there is non metal oxide and a water. I also know a non metal oxide plus a water forms an acid. I predict this to be HClO3.

If that is the correct answer, I can't seem to balance the equation. Help

My second question is

C3H8 + 5O2 -----> ??

I am guessing this is single displacement. How to I obtain the product. Then how do i balance it.

Help

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not too sure on the first reaction, you don't normally see Chlorine with a positie charge like that.

Bu the second reaction is a simple combustion reaction, producing Carbon Dioxide and Water (Steam).
Propane and excess Oxygen combust completely to form Carbon Dioxide and Water,
C3H8 + 5 O2 = 3 CO2 + 4 H2O
All complete combustion reactions profuce CO2 and H2O.

first equation gives you 2 HClO (hypochlorous acid)
Found it on google

Related to Some simple chemical reaction help

What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process where one or more substances are transformed into new substances with different physical and chemical properties.

What are the main types of chemical reactions?

The main types of chemical reactions are synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion.

How can I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element on the product side.

What factors can affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, catalysts, and pressure (in the case of gaseous reactions).

What safety precautions should I take when conducting a chemical reaction?

Some safety precautions to take when conducting a chemical reaction include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, following proper procedures, and disposing of chemicals properly.