Some really confusing directions (and the world is flat).

In summary: To do this, you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle that the resultant vector makes with the horizontal. This will give you the direction in which you must travel from Dallas to reach Chicago.In summary, using the information provided on the map and modeling the Earth as flat, the displacement from Dallas to Chicago is approximately 839.44 miles in a direction of 11.14 degrees west of north. This can be calculated by finding the resultant vector of the two given vectors and then using the inverse tangent function to find the angle of the resultant vector.
niyati
A map suggests that Atlanta is 730 miles in a direction of 5.00 degrees north of east from Dallas. The same map shows that Chicago is 560 miles in a direction of 21.0 degrees west of north from Atlanta. Modeling the Earth as flat, use this information to find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago.

Equations:

Ax = Acos(angle)
Ay = Asin(angle)

(same for vector B)

[resultant vector] = ((Ax + Bx)^2 + (Ay + By)^2)

So far, I graphed each pathway on the same picture, so that the resultant vector would complete a triangle. From Dallas to Atlanta (vector A), the h.c. = 730cos85, and the v.c. = 730sin85.

For Atlanta to Chicago (vector B), I couldn't figure out which angle to use. 69 degrees or 111? I'm thinking 111 degrees, because if I draw the three cities, so that two tails of vectors stem from Atlanta and form a V-shape (as if the positive y-axis is equivalent to north, the postive x-axis is equivalent to east on a compass, and negative x-axis to west), the angle would be 111 degrees.

If this is true, I was planning on getting the h.c. and v.c of B, and adding up the h.c.'s of A and B, and the v.c.'s of A and B, to the the total h.c. and v.c of R. Once that is given, I can use Pythagorean Theorum to get the magnitude of R, which is the total displacement between Dallas and Chicago.

Physics news on Phys.org
niyati said:
A map suggests that Atlanta is 730 miles in a direction of 5.00 degrees north of east from Dallas. The same map shows that Chicago is 560 miles in a direction of 21.0 degrees west of north from Atlanta. Modeling the Earth as flat, use this information to find the displacement from Dallas to Chicago.

Equations:

Ax = Acos(angle)
Ay = Asin(angle)

(same for vector B)

[resultant vector] = ((Ax + Bx)^2 + (Ay + By)^2)

So far, I graphed each pathway on the same picture, so that the resultant vector would complete a triangle. From Dallas to Atlanta (vector A), the h.c. = 730cos85, and the v.c. = 730sin85.

For Atlanta to Chicago (vector B), I couldn't figure out which angle to use. 69 degrees or 111? I'm thinking 111 degrees, because if I draw the three cities, so that two tails of vectors stem from Atlanta and form a V-shape (as if the positive y-axis is equivalent to north, the postive x-axis is equivalent to east on a compass, and negative x-axis to west), the angle would be 111 degrees.

If this is true, I was planning on getting the h.c. and v.c of B, and adding up the h.c.'s of A and B, and the v.c.'s of A and B, to the the total h.c. and v.c of R. Once that is given, I can use Pythagorean Theorum to get the magnitude of R, which is the total displacement between Dallas and Chicago.
You are using 85 degrees as the angle of vector A, which is the angle the vector makes with the vertical; the angle is 5 degrees above the horizontal (it is given that the vector is 5 degrees north of east). If you choose the x component as the cosine of the angle, you best use 5 degrees in your calcs. For vector B, you can use 111 degrees, and the plus or minus sign for the components will come out of that equation; or if you use 69 degrees, that's OK also, but then you have to decide using a sketch as to whether the components are plus or minus.

Oh crap. I think I drew my picture wrong. The way I drew it was as if the problem said, "5.00 degrees east of north", which is, well, WRONG.

I'll redraw it and see what I come up with.

Thank you!

Uhm, okay.

So, Rx = [730cos(5 degrees) + 560cos(111 degrees)], and Ry = [730sin(5 degrees) + 560sin(111 degrees)].

Thus, the resultant vector's magnitude would be the square root of both terms squared (which I actually forgot to add to the equation I put into my post).

Would this be correct?

Yes, this would give you the correct magnitude of the resultant displacement. But you must now calculate the direction of the resultant displacement.

Related to Some really confusing directions (and the world is flat).

1. What are some examples of confusing directions?

Confusing directions can include unclear or contradictory instructions, using unfamiliar terminology, or omitting important details.

2. How can we decipher confusing directions?

One approach is to read the directions carefully and break them down into smaller, more manageable steps. It can also be helpful to ask for clarification from the person giving the directions.

3. Can confusing directions lead to mistakes or errors?

Yes, confusing directions can lead to mistakes or errors, especially if they are not thoroughly understood or if they are followed incorrectly.

4. How does the concept of a flat world relate to confusing directions?

The idea of a flat world is often used as a metaphor for a limited or narrow perspective. In the context of confusing directions, it may suggest that the directions are not comprehensive or lack important information.

5. How can we improve confusing directions?

To improve confusing directions, it can be helpful to use clear and concise language, provide visual aids or examples, and to test the directions with a diverse group of individuals to ensure they are easily understood.