Some questions on planck constant

In summary, the commutator of two operators in quantization is related to the Planck constant h. However, in theory, any value for h could be used. The significance of h in nature is not fully understood, but it is crucial in quantum mechanics and leads to the uncertainty principle. When h approaches 0, the system becomes more classical, but this does not necessarily mean that the uncertainty principle becomes invalid.
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading something on quantization, semi-classical approximation of a quantum system and related topics. There are few statements are pretty confusing. First of all, in many material, whenever they mention the quantization, they refer to a commutator, like

[tex][\hat{A}, \hat{B}] = i\hbar[/tex]

why's that? Does [itex]\hbar[/itex] really have to be Planck constant? If not, if I make it something small but close to [itex]\hbar[/itex] and will it still work in quantize the system?

Secondly, in some books, they said in theory [itex]\hbar[/itex] could be anything, doesn't really have to be Planck constant. So why the quantum mechanics use the Planck constant instead of the arbitrary number? What's the significant of the Planck constant in nature?

In text, they said if [itex]\hbar \to 0[/itex], the system approaches to a classical system. Well, if we look at the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

[tex]\Delta x\Delta p \ge \hbar/2[/tex]

Here [itex]\hbar[/itex] is a small but not zero constant, so we cannot simultaneously make precise measurement on x and p. But in classical case, they can. But if you look at the uncertainty principle when [itex]\hbar\to 0[/itex], [itex]\Delta x\Delta p \ge 0[/itex] so if x and p are precisely measured at the same time, [itex]\Delta x = \Delta p =0[/itex], does it mean we can only take the '=' sign in the uncertainty principle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The commutator of two arbitrary operators A and B need not be related to the Planck constant h; that applies to very specific operators, namely x and p. One can understand that as follows: suppose you have a plane wave

[tex]\exp\left(i\frac{px}{\hbar}\right)[/tex]

The momentum operator looks like

[tex]\hat{p} = -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

Acting with it one a plane wave results in the momentum p (which is the eigenvalue of the operator)

[tex]\hat{p}\;\exp\left(i\frac{px}{\hbar}\right) = -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\;\exp\left(i\frac{px}{\hbar}\right) = p\;\exp\left(i\frac{px}{\hbar}\right)[/tex]

It is this hbar in the definition of the operator that results in the hbar in the commutator.

In principle quantization works with any value, so you could try to quantize a system using

[tex]\hat{p}_a = -ia\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

where a is a dimensionless number. Formally the quantization will work, but experimentally the theory will deviate from nature.

Related to Some questions on planck constant

What is the Planck constant?

The Planck constant is a fundamental physical constant that is used to link the energy of a single particle of light, called a photon, to its frequency. It is denoted by the symbol h and has the value of 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds.

Who discovered the Planck constant?

The Planck constant was discovered by German physicist Max Planck in 1900. He introduced it as a way to explain the relationship between energy and frequency in blackbody radiation, which is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a heated object.

What is the significance of the Planck constant?

The Planck constant is significant because it is a fundamental building block in many areas of modern physics, including quantum mechanics and electromagnetics. It is also used to define the basic unit of energy, the joule, and is a crucial part of many equations and calculations in these fields of study.

How is the Planck constant measured?

The Planck constant is measured using various experimental techniques, such as the photoelectric effect and the blackbody radiation. These experiments involve measuring the energy and frequency of photons and then using the Planck constant to determine their relationship.

Has the value of the Planck constant ever changed?

The value of the Planck constant has been refined over the years through more precise measurements, but it has never changed. It is considered a fundamental constant of nature and is expected to remain constant under any circumstances.