Some questions on energy of orbitals

In summary, the conversation discusses degenerate orbitals and their stability, the reason for the inert pair effect, and the order of shielding effect for s, p, d, and f orbitals. The answers given by the person asking the questions are that in the given orbital configuration, px is more stable than py and pz, the true reason for the inert pair effect is unknown, and the order of shielding effect is s>p>d>f. They are looking for confirmation of their answers and justification for the order of shielding effect.
Ezio3.1415
1. We know px,py,pz are degenerate orbitals... My question is suppose in
0=[He] 2s^2 2px^2 2py^1 2pz^1
Are the px,py,pz orbitals degenerate here?

2. What is the true reason of inert pair effect?

3. What is the order of shielding effect for s,p,d,f?I just want to verify my answers...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ezio3.1415 said:
1. We know px,py,pz are degenerate orbitals... My question is suppose in
0=[He] 2s^2 2px^2 2py^1 2pz^1
Are the px,py,pz orbitals degenerate here?

2. What is the true reason of inert pair effect?

3. What is the order of shielding effect for s,p,d,f?

I just want to verify my answers...

Please show your work and your answers.

1. the orbitals were degenerate... Now px is more stable,means less energy... so py and pz are degenerate...

2. I know about it... Was expecting an answer and justify whether the things I read are true...

3. s>p>d>f
my ques is why?

Related to Some questions on energy of orbitals

1. What is the difference between energy levels and energy of orbitals?

The energy levels of an atom refer to the different energy states that electrons can occupy, while the energy of orbitals refers to the specific amount of energy associated with each orbital within a given energy level.

2. How is the energy of orbitals determined?

The energy of orbitals is determined by the quantum numbers associated with each orbital. The principal quantum number determines the energy level, the angular momentum quantum number determines the sublevel, and the magnetic quantum number determines the specific orbital within the sublevel.

3. Why do electrons occupy specific energy levels and orbitals?

Electrons occupy specific energy levels and orbitals because of the quantum nature of electrons. They can only exist in discrete energy states and must follow the rules of quantum mechanics.

4. How does the energy of orbitals affect the chemical properties of an atom?

The energy of orbitals plays a crucial role in determining the chemical properties of an atom. It determines the likelihood of an electron being found in a particular location, which affects the atom's reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds.

5. How does the energy of orbitals change when an atom absorbs or emits energy?

When an atom absorbs or emits energy, the energy of the orbitals can change. An electron can move to a higher energy level by absorbing energy, or it can move to a lower energy level by emitting energy. This process is known as electronic transition and is responsible for the emission and absorption spectra of atoms.