Some questions concerning centripetal force.

In summary, centripetal force is a type of force that acts towards the center of a circular motion and is required to keep an object moving in a circular path. It is caused by the combination of the object's inertia and the force acting on it. The direction of centripetal force is always towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is determined by the mass, velocity, and radius of the object. Some common questions concerning centripetal force include how to calculate it, what factors affect its magnitude, and how it is related to other types of forces. Understanding centripetal force is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering, as it is necessary for designing and predicting the behavior of objects in circular motion.
wtf_albino
1. A mass attached to a 50-cm long string starts from rest and is rotated 40 times in 1.00 min before reaching a final angular speed. Determine the angular acceleration of the mass, assuming that it is constant.

W = Delta Theta/Delta Time
Average Acceleration = Delta W/Delta time
W = Wo + at
Theta = Wo(t) + 1/2at^2
W^2 = Wo^2 + 2a(Theta)

3. I started by finding W. It said that the wheel made 40 revolutions in 1 minute so i put:

40 Rev/60 s : 2(pi)/rev

and from this i got: 4.2 Rad/s

Using this i used the formula W = Wo + at:

4.2 = 60a
.07 rev/s^2 = A

the answer in the book says .14 rad/s^2:confused: can anyone point out my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest to check your units. Since you're finding acceleration, the units must match to a unit of acceleration. Please check on that.

wtf_albino said:
W = Delta Theta/Delta Time
Unless the angular speed is constant, this gives you average speed.

I started by finding W. It said that the wheel made 40 revolutions in 1 minute so i put:

40 Rev/60 s : 2(pi)/rev

and from this i got: 4.2 Rad/s
That's the average angular speed, not the final speed.

Using this i used the formula W = Wo + at:
This equation requires the initial and final angular speeds, not average speed.

Hint: Since the angular acceleration is uniform, there is a simple relationship between the average speed (which you calculated) and the initial and final speeds. What is it?

Doc Al said:
Hint: Since the angular acceleration is uniform, there is a simple relationship between the average speed (which you calculated) and the initial and final speeds. What is it?

hm.. I read through the section covering this part but i couldn't get anything.. could i get another hint?:redface:

Try to remember the formulas that you learned. There are two formulas that you could use, although there is one that is prefered.

thanks a lot doc and carbz, ill definitely check it out.

sorry, I'm still not seeing it.

There are two ways to do this problem:
(1) You can continue the way you started, once you figure out the final speed. That list of kinematic equations has one that relates initial and final speed to average speed.
(2) You can make use of a different kinematic formula, one that directly relates distance, time, and acceleration. That too is on the list I provided.

Related to Some questions concerning centripetal force.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular motion, keeping an object moving in a circular path. It is required for an object to maintain its circular motion and is directed perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force on an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a result of inertia, while centripetal force is a result of a physical force acting on the object.

3. What are some examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force include the force of gravity keeping planets in their orbits around the sun, the tension in a string keeping a ball moving in a circular path, and the force of friction between tires and the road keeping a car turning around a curve.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. Can centripetal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, it is possible for centripetal force to be greater than the weight of an object. This is seen in amusement park rides, where the force of the ride keeps the riders moving in a circular path against the force of gravity.