Some questions about Fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and calculation of Fourier coefficients and the presentation of Fourier and half-period functions. The speaker asks how to define T in a function and questions the use of cosine instead of sine in the expansion of an odd function. They also wonder why most references use even half-range expansion for real systems. It is noted that there is a difference between the Fourier transformation of periodic signals and general functions. The speaker also mentions a PDF and attachment for further reference.
baby_1
Hi,
First of all, I want to say that I know how can define and calculate Fourier coefficients but I have some question about the final presentation of Fourier and half-period or unknown period functions.
1)In this function how can we define T?
222.jpg

2)for above diagram, in a book, they define f(t) as
f(t)=cos(at)-(1/3)cos(3at)+...
but my question is, Isn't the function f(t) even? but the original shape is odd?
how would it be possible that we present a Sin function into Cos functions?
because for odd function we have a Fourier series like
[tex]f(t)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}B_{n}Sin(\omega_{0}((2n+1)t)=B_{0}Sin(\omega_{0}t)+B_{0}Sin(3\omega_{0}t)+...[/tex]

3)why in most references the writer prefer to write even function for half-range expansion instead of odd half-range expansion of a real systems?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a difference between the Fourier transformation of periodic signals (where your formula and questions comes from) and general functions (what is done here).

Likes baby_1
For question 2, I believe you are correct. The expansion should use sine.

Likes baby_1
Thanks for your replay.
Yes, I was wondered why the writer used Fourier series for a non-periodic function and why she/he uses the cos function instead of Sin.
you can see the pdf of the page in attachment.

https://ufile.io/95xlo

Related to Some questions about Fourier series

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate complex periodic functions.

What is the purpose of using a Fourier series?

The purpose of using a Fourier series is to simplify the analysis of complex periodic functions. It allows us to break down a complicated function into simpler components, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by using the Fourier coefficients, which are determined by integrating the original function with sine and cosine functions. These coefficients are then used to construct the Fourier series representation of the function.

What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier transform is used for non-periodic functions. In a Fourier series, the function is represented as a sum of sine and cosine functions, whereas a Fourier transform represents the function in terms of frequency components.

What are some applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used for signal processing, image and sound compression, solving differential equations, and analyzing periodic phenomena in various fields.